The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By medic77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM

medic77 will become famous soon enough
Default First Grayling-What an amazing day

Let's start this by saying Colorado fish for this Missouri boy are finicky and I have had my head scratching days there, but this day was quite different. My buddy Ryan(local) and I went up to a place that he has been drooling over for a while now because he said that there was grayling there. I didnt hardly believe him but went along for the hours drive in gods country.
We pulled over at a huge lake (Joe Wright Res.) and I looked at him with a little disbelief about fishing in the lake. I told him that wasnt what I came to Co. to fish in but little did I know that the tiny stream that fed such lake was crawling with big fat fishies that I have only read about.

We get out of the truck to gear up and a young bull moose strolls 30yds from the truck. Ok, this trip was cool before but now has hit "over the top" for me.
We start walking to the creek and seeing nice fish moving upstream. We were excited to be hitting this just right we thought. I threw every dry my 4wt Orvis Superfine touch could throw with not even a look on the graylings part. I finally had had it with the dries and told Ryan I was trying a nymph or two. Now I normally nymph quite a bit but the flies had nothing to do with the fishes interest. What did strike their fancy was the pink foam indicator I placed on the line. The first time I cast out the first fish popped that float. I got a wierd look on my face, the second time the fish hit the float I got more confused and the third time it smashed it i had ever fly box torn open looking for anything pink at all. Low and behold at the very bottom of the 3rd small box in the bottom of my bag rest two pink egg pattern flies that have no been used in a long while. We quickly tied them on and commenced giggling like school girls the rest of the morning. The most fun I've had fishing ever on the least manly ego inflating fly I had in the box.

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Grayling-What an amazing day

Sweet! I love fishing for Grayling, congrats for finally figuring out what they wanted. There is a small lake near here that has Grayling, I need to make a trip over there and see if I can land one. I haven't caught a Grayling since my Alaska days. Now that you mention it, I remember how fond of pink Grayling can be. I used to tie a small pink egg looking pattern with a little grizzly hackle on it and they would smash that fly.