The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Have been looking at wicker creels....

Have been looking for a wicker creel the past few days because I want an old one to revamp maybe, and use; not looking for a display piece nor a collectors item.

Realized I need some schooling.

What's the deal with tight weave vs open weaves. Is it something regional or a preference kind of thing?

What the deal with "Made in British Hong Kong", beside locating the fabrication site?

Anything I should be looking out for? Stay away from "X". Try to find "Y" kinds of stuff.

Thanks much.
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Have been looking at wicker creels....

I have also been looking for a creel for some time. My sole purpose is for display only. If you practice "catch & release" there isn't a need to carry one of those on your back, along with all the other gear some would carry. IMHO it is cruel to throw live fish in that basket to die slowly. If you have injured a fish while playing it , putting it out of it's misery and keeping it is another thing. Check with hairwing530 on this forum, he has a nice one for sale and the funds are going to a worthwhile cause.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I used one when I was a kid and as I remember the harness used to carry it was unique to the task. There was more to it than just a leather shoulder strap. It strapped around your chest as well to keep it from banging around
The ones that you see nowadays don't have that.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Troutnut4: You're preaching to converted about treating fish well. Thanks for the heads up on that creel - definitely a good cause.

Riptide: I remember that harness thing you are talking about. Remeber mine being more like a waist belt, but I was smaller then. Did help from keeping the creel from hanging up in brush though.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

They do have a 'kewlness factor',,never used one though.

Mike
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Random User, my comments which sound like preaching were not meant to offend you or anyone else. I feel strongly about "catch & release", maybe because I see too much of the opposite. Did you grab the creel from hairwing530 (Jerry) ?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Every once in a while I take mine to the river when the family wants some trout for dinner. Nothing cruel about a creel, simply wack or knife to the brain, gut and gill. I put a layer of wet leaves between each fish and the evaporation keeps them cool. (the reason good creels arn't water proof) I have 5 or 6 split reed creels laying around the house, caught an auction up in Idaho and bought them for on the cheap. Don't be afraid to buy a good one just because it is badly warped, soak it in some water and you can start slowly forming it back to its original shape.

Dave
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Every once in a while I take mine to the river when the family wants some trout for dinner. Nothing cruel about a creel, simply wack or knife to the brain, gut and gill. I put a layer of wet leaves between each fish and the evaporation keeps them cool. (the reason good creels arn't water proof) I have 5 or 6 split reed creels laying around the house, caught an auction up in Idaho and bought them for on the cheap. Don't be afraid to buy a good one just because it is badly warped, soak it in some water and you can start slowly forming it back to its original shape.

Dave
Been a lot of years since I've used a wicker creel, but actually have one right behind me on my Credenza. Not much in the way of trout fishing in my area (unless you want to take a long drive and have a boat) but used an old canvas bag (Grange for .99 cents) to wrap a 'keeper.' Wet same and wrap the fish; works a treat.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Random User, my comments which sound like preaching were not meant to offend you or anyone else. I feel strongly about "catch & release", maybe because I see too much of the opposite. Did you grab the creel from hairwing530 (Jerry) ?
I hear you on the C&R stuff. I won't even take the fish out of the water unless there is no option. Have seen a lot of playing a trout until it slides in on its side, only to be netted and grabbed and manhandled and then graciously returned to the river to float to its death.

To me wild trout and stockers are different creatures. Most stockers don't survive a year from what I have read. Given the study done in MI that showed a pound hen brown will lay 400 eggs, most of which will hatch, and only two or three of those fish will make 4", the 200:1 ratio probably holds true for stockers. The only real difference is the stockers avoided natural selection for the first few, more vulnerable years.

If you are keeping fish, dispatching them and cleaning them immediately does amazing things for preserving the the flesh.

Will be contacting Hairwing if the auctions I have already bid on fall through - I'm one of those chronicly low bidders.

Actually want to rebuild the harness on the creel I'll be using. If I know the leather is going to be getting wet regularly, I might as well use brain-tanned opposed to chrome-tanned. Even if I have to brain over chrome, it's better than strait chrome.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

Fred,
Army/navy stores used to be a great place to get heavy duty canvas shoulder bags. If you saturate the part of the bag that is going to be bouncing against you with thompson's water seal, they are a bit more 'comfortable'
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I take stocked triploids every know and then. They're whole existence is to be food for some organism. They're essentially farm raised trout that get dumped into streams to compete wild trout in the food chain after being given the advantage of extra strength and a voracious appetite.

They need to be taken in my opinion. They contribute nothing to the natural order of the waters in which they live. Worse, they are a parasite.

Now having said that, I still recognize and respect them as living creatures. I don't like seeing them die slowly on stringers or creels. So I use several alternatives to keep the meat cool.

If I plan on keeping the fish, I kill and clean it immediately. It's better for the meat and more humane in my opinion.

If I'm moving a lot or the river is crowded, I'll wrap the fish in a bandana and soak it occasionally with fresh water. The evaporation does a good job keeping the meat cold and the cloth keeps the meat clean.

If I can find a good spot on a secluded river, I'll string the meat in a clean spot and let the river keep the meat cool. This works best in cold streams.

It's much easier to carry a 6' string and a bandana that a creel in the backcountry. But wicker creels are pretty cool.
troutnut4 likes this.