The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road
Default Waders In Hot Weather

This is not a threat about what breathable waders to wear/buy.

I have been using a set of Orvis shoes without waders and it has been very comfortable, BUT...I have been getting a good number of bytes on my ankles and legs. This week I got an especially nasty one.

My question(s) is:

How many of you wear waders all the time?

Anyone else have problems with bytes when they don't use waders?

Just how hot are these breathable waiters when it is in the 90's with hi humidity?

I noticed that there has been some discussion about what to wear under waders in hot weather.

Just looking to see what some of the rest of you all do.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waders In Hot Weather

I'd rather fall on a rock, get bit by a snake and be attacked by skeeters than wear waders this time of year. Then again I live in the Southeast where the dog days of summer take on new meaning.

edit: no I don't get bit very bad but I have slipped a few times because I've been wearing chacos because I think even boots are too hot.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

This will depend on where I am.

I've worn them this past June as I was moving around some back country area. It helps keep the ticks down and any plants that could cause a rash (poison ivy, stinging nettles, etc).

On a recent canoeing trip, I wet waded, but I would NOT want to be in a canoe all day with waders on...

I use breathables, but I like to be in water that is at least waist deep...keep things cool. Shorts underneath, some decent socks to keep things tight to prevent blisters. The shorts are usually not cotten....something synthetic and light. Swimming trunks works well.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm going to be wet wading today. I wear Levi's and a long sleeve lightweight fishing shirt to cut down on bites and protect from the brush. I just throw on some neoprene socks and my wading boots.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

How about bug spray, off, etc. Use this frequently while in and out of water?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I'm going to be wet wading today. I wear Levi's and a long sleeve lightweight fishing shirt to cut down on bites and protect from the brush. I just throw on some neoprene socks and my wading boots.
I follow Jimmies approach with the exception of the Levi's (they get heavy when wet), instead I like the nylon style of convertible pants where the lower leg portion can be zipped off. The nylon dries fairly quickly when out of the water and isn't real heavy when wet. Cabelas sells a variety of these, here is just one example: Cabela's Guidewear® GXII™ Pants

Larry
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

While I often complain about the weather here, it isn't ever hot and humid like many of you have this time of year. We also don't have issues with various "nuisances" like leeches & other critters that will bite you.

My normal attire in warmer weather (note water very seldom gets over 70 deg f) is cheap no-name runners, loose jeans tucked into heavy good quality socks and a long sleeve shirt.

With the walking I do to get to some of my favourite fishing holes, I'd wreck 3-4 pairs of hip waders a year and I'd rather not carry them.

My waders are reserved for short jaunts in cooler weather.

Jamie.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMO View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

How about bug spray, off, etc. Use this frequently while in and out of water?
With the exception of some of the "natural" stuff, bug spray is a no-no for waders and fly lines.

I'd put it on before I put anything else on (wader, vest, whatever). If ya gotta "refresh", I'd put down the rod, move downwind, if possible...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
With the exception of some of the "natural" stuff, bug spray is a no-no for waders and fly lines.

I'd put it on before I put anything else on (wader, vest, whatever). If ya gotta "refresh", I'd put down the rod, move downwind, if possible...
Yeah I know that Deet will eat thru alot of finishes and I assume would be very bad for fly line so you for sure would have to be very carefull using it, but I am not see any other option at this point. I really don't like the idea of getting the stuff in the water either, but I have some chiggers bites and one bite that I assume was from some kind of other criter maybe a spider. I did venture into more brush this week, maybe the answer is to stay away from tall grass as much as possible (that can not always be done) and use spary sparingly as needed.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ray,

Since there have been some good options offered up already (I like Larry's approach) I'm not going to try to invent a new wheel here. However I have lived and fished where the 'Chigger' is abundant and will tell you wearing waders beats chigger bites any day or weeks for that matter. I say weeks because a good batch of chigger's will keep you itching and miserable for weeks. They have to be the worst lesson in being prepared I've ever had. After getting into the chiggers in Central and north Georgia I wore my waders until I had moved well beyond their Northern most range. You may want to look into a pair of stocking foot hip waders and wear them along with shorts. If your lower legs are the only thing that is broiling inside the wader you won't notice it as badly as when wearing a full length chest wader.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;