The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By long bow
  • 1 Post By nick k
  • 2 Post By chased
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM

todvan is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer Line

After years of Dry fly and nymphing, I am learning to fish streamers. If I have a 9 foot, 5 wt Orvis Access rod, what line would you recommend for streamers?

I am looking at possibly the Sci Anglers Streamer express, Rio 24' sink tip 200 grain, or Rio 15' sink tip for 5 or maybe even try a 6wt line since this is a fairly fast action rod?

I mostly fish rivers /areas that are not that deep and fish by wading or from my kayak.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Streamer Line

IMO, you will be just fine with a floating line for the moment as you are just starting to get into streamer fishing (especially since most of the places you fish sound like its pretty shallow anyways). Sink tips are great when you need to get down deep in the pools, but if those big guys are out scanning the shallows for small fish (and hopefully your fly) you don't need to be very deep.
I heard an interview with Kelly Gallup and he said the most popular place for big fish that he'd seen was fish in 3 feet of water or less, resting. That's why a ton of his flies don't have any weights or bead-heads, just deer hair to move as much water as possible. He's throwing off the bank and immediately stripping in. Now a fish in the main part of the river or night?--whole different ball game. But for now, I'd stick with the floating line and start working on the idea that now, "drag" will be your best friend.

Action with your fly will be your friend--Good Luck!
mcnerney and Nearenuf like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Agreed. A standard floating line wil be enough to start out. That's all I use for streamers on still water. If your streamers aren't sinking enough, just add some weight to them.

Once you've been at it for a while, you'll have a better understand of what you need for your personal fishing style and situation.
Nearenuf likes this.

Last edited by nick k; 07-11-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I would stay with a floating line. In my experience, sink tips are really hard to cast on trout size single hand rods. An alternative to the sink tip that I have found is a sinking furled leader or a heavier fly. It sounds like the waters you fish are relatively shallow anyways...I don't see a full sink tip being beneficial in your situation.

-Chase
Hardyreels and Nearenuf like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for having the right line for certain conditions. Your choice would be based off of depth, current speed, and fly choice.

There are different ways to approach your situation. Full sink line, sink tip, floater, floater with sinking leader are all different options.

Have you consulted your local fly shop or tackle shop to see what the local guys prefer?

Dennis
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road

check out the jim teeny line of sink tips. have several. very easy to cast.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM

swimmy will become famous soon enough

I'm personally not a fan of weighting my streamers so I fish a sink line. I also do not like sinking leaders as they do not cast as well as sink line.

Ask the guys at your shop but 200 grain might be a little heavy for your 5 weight. If you really get into streamer fishing you might want to buy a bigger rod exclusively for streamers such as a 6 or 7 wt. I fish 24' of 300 or 350 grain on my 8 wt. That does the job for the rivers I'm fishing.

I usually fish Rio lines but none of them really hold up that great. I keep waiting for someone to introduce a streamer line that doesn't kink.

Good luck. Streamer fishing is a game changer.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

I have the Streamer Express for my Sage 8wt, and it does the job of getting them out and down well. Tried using my floating line at first, but it floated too well! Couldn't get the streamers down nearly fast enough. I just used this very setup on Lake St. Clair on a smallie trip, and still had to wait 15 or 20 count to let it get down to the fish, as the weather had put them all on the bottom. You can certainly fish them up and in the middle of the column with a floating line, but if your goal is to get them down, I would suggest the Express and a heavier rod. On a 5wt, it will be difficult to throw a sink tip or full sinker with a heavy streamer (even heavier when wet, remember) so I guess my advice for the 5wt would also be to stay with the floating line, or try adding a short sinking tip. HTH.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM

todvan is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I got a chance to fish my 5 wt with a floating line and a Rio weighted leader (medium sink). This works well enough for getting 2 feet deep or so (deeper with weighted flies). The smaller streamers (size 4 or 6 single hook) were fine, even with a cone head - but the articulated monsters are too big for the 5 wt as you have suggested. I will stick with a floating line on the 5 wt and use it for dries/nymphs mostly and go to the weighted leader for small streamers.

This means I will look for (or build) a 6 or 7 wt dedicated to mostlly streamers and get a sink tip line for it - I am thinking the Rio 24' 200 grain right now....but I'm still open to suggestions on rods and lines.