The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Heddon Help Needed

Need some help figuring out what I actually have. (images to follow)

Have a "Heddon Premier" labeled "#115 - 8 1/2 - 2 - F - HDH or E".

Click the image to open in full size.

Heddon, if I remember correctly is a mid to low end rod, right? Mine seems to have somewhat tarnished nickle-silver hardware, some kind of plastic reel seat and the wraps are other then perfect. What's the relative level of a Heddon Premier?

#115 I am guessing is the model number.

8 1/2 is the length.

2 I am guessing refers to the 2 rod tips in the sock.

F I have no idea.

HDH or E is the line weight, but what does it correspond to in modern measurements?

How do I determine if it is a fish-able rod, or would I be crazy to try it? Rod looks un-fished. Cork has no staining whatsoever and everything seem too clean, except for the tarnish build up and faded nickle silver. (yes, the evil blue and green copper deterioration in limited spots)

What would be a matching level and time era appropriate reel to match up with this?

Thanks much for any info you can offer.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heddon Help Needed

2-F is the ferrule size and a #2 in Heddon speak is "standard dry fly/ perfect dry fly action"
HDH is a 6DT
... you don't see vintage rods that nice every day
enjoy it.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Heddon was one of the best of the "production" rods and definitely not of low level
Even so, the Premier wasn't exactly their "top of the line" and was exclusively sold by Sear&Roebuck

I could easily recommend a Medalist 1494, but surprisingly that might not be heavy enough on a 8.5' rod.
Personally I use either my Bristol 65 or my Pflueger GEM on my rods of that size, but you'll find that there are many vintage reels were made to balance the vintage rods
If you do choose to use a Medalist, there are ways to add weight if that interests you.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Riptide.

Am guessing it would be late 50's or early 60's at the earliest.
Should be fun trying to find a reel in the same condition for it, never mind the rod tube.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I basicly know nothing about bamboo but if a 1494 won't balance the rod then a 1495 or 1495 1/2 should work. Medalist reels were a major player and I still use them today. They are as close to bullet proof as it gets and are of the correct era. HDH is a 6 DT. DT was the line of choice back then. WF was a distant 2nd fiddle and Level lines were still in common use. I learned on a level line.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

I don't have anything further to add that hasn't already been said regarding the rod; other than, it looks like a beauty.

Regarding the possible reel matchups, besides the Medalist option, have you looked at Heddon's Imperial 125? Although I've never used one, they seem to be regarded highly. However, I don't think you'll be able to find one in respectable condition for less than 100.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Finally got to cast this today!

No ticks of loose ferrules or any weirdnesses!

Have a 1495AK Medalist with an old, WF6F, peach Cortland 'rocket taper' on it. The reel is a bit light for the rod, but I can live with it for now. Still looking at options for it rod. Think I have the 'first-timer-needs-to-be-perfect' thing going on.

Anyhow,
The rod is expletive-ing amazing! Took no time to adjust the timing and lay out 30'-40' of line and a 9.5' leader like you dream about. Don't know if it is me or the rod, but I am getting "W" 's on the bottom leg of the bow. Doesn't seem to be actually detrimental so I am not worried about it - is odd to watch though.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Perhaps a Martin MG-7 would give both weight balance and be of the proper vintage or close. I have one and they are very nice reels.

I don't remember what I paid for the reel but it was less than 50.00.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Ard, looks like an option.

Spent a little time [cringe]with a hammer[/cringe] and the Bristol 65 I pick up is working properly. It's a little heavier than the 1495AK I had on it earlier today. Hoping the earlier Medalists are a bit heavier. Worse come to worse I know I have a slug of pewter which melts at 420*F or so, so I could pour in place using masking tape and brown paper as a mold. Did it on a lot of seaxes. Process won't be much different.