The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Constantly amazed by this fly

There are a lot of really impressive flies out there. In particular, a lot of people are extremely talented with deer hair and also with making very lifelike insect flies. The fly below is neither, but has always been my favorite. True art and creativity.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Constantly amazed by this fly

But can you cast it with a 6 wt?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

You can cast anything you want with a 6wt (or any rod), its just a matter of how far you need to cast it.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

That is a beautiful rendition. It looks like it would be deadly on Amazon river fish like the "Leather-lipped Riposnortimus". Are those beauties sold by the fly, or by the pound ? I think they would turn over nicely on a 12 12wt, sometimes called a 12 x 12, or a "gross" rod.
I'm sure it took a lot of effort to produce that work of art. Thanks for sharing the picture and the smile
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Nick, that's pretty cool! Reminds me of some of Pat Cohen's flies. He ties some awesome fishing flies, and his art is even more awesome.

mcnerney and rubberguy like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

Dear lord, could catch a monster of a bass on that thing. Although, I think if I bought one it would go in a case and on a shelf or in a frame and on the wall. Too beautiful to use!

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Nick, that's pretty cool! Reminds me of some of Pat Cohen's flies. He ties some awesome fishing flies, and his art is even more awesome.

Jeez, those are crazy. Wonder what the average tie time is?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Pretty cool looking fly. I wonder how long that takes to tie
Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Those flies are so beautiful it would be hard to actually use one, I'd frame them and hang them on a wall.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Those flies are so beautiful it would be hard to actually use one, I'd frame them and hang them on a wall.
Same here. I don't think I'd ever let it touch the water.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Pat Cohen is an amazing tyer! As is his art and tattoos . I think I would frame his work as well , would feel bad if a fish chewed that up! Maybe not .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser