The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Suckers

I'm usually up and on the river by 4:30 when the weather gets hot, there's this one spot on the river where the suckers, at least that's what I think they are, just start coming out of the water, I mean 2 feet in the air, until it gets light enough to see. I can't be positive they are suckers but they are big, I've been trying to hook one for a long time now,wets, dries I've tried everything. I'm really not into catching suckers but I just want to be positive that's what they are. Has anyone experienced anything like this before, next week I think I'll try and film it, there may be enough light.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Suckers

That's spawning behavior, they get all excited and jump to impress

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
That's spawning behavior, they get all excited and jump to impress
If they are suckers, don't they spawn in winter? We fish sucker spawn here for trout in Jan-Feb??? Never seen such behavior from a sucker...carp maybe???

Hey Bear...the ice is gone already up by the arctic circle? Boy Presque Isle is up there...
Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I do fish sucker spawn in May?, I've never seen them jump then.

Quote:
Hey Bear...the ice is gone already up by the arctic circle?
Sometimes I wonder
Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM

jimj40 is on a distinguished road

This sounds a lot like carp behavior, they usually jump if scared and it starts a chain. I highly doubt you would catch them if they are carp because they feed on algae.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

Tie on really any egg fly and you'll hook into them.. there a nuisance when steelhead fishing and always pound sucker spawn flies...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbum2020 View Post
Tie on really any egg fly and you'll hook into them.. there a nuisance when steelhead fishing and always pound sucker spawn flies...
I recall a steelhead trip where if it hadn't been for the suckers, it would have been a pretty slow day. If you are ever in need of a good sucker guide, I'm your guy. Oh and yes, we'll throw some eggs....
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

sounds a lot like carp behavior.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 AM

There's no Carp up here, I haven't seen one of those since I left Connecticut 35 years ago.

Quote:
If you are ever in need of a good sucker guide, I'm your guy. Oh and yes, we'll throw some eggs....
Thanks for you offer, I don't think I want to catch one that bad, I might give an egg a shot though. If I don't catch one I'll just keep hoping they are trout.

Last edited by bear 007; 07-15-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Bad Grammar