The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default one wt over another

Hi all, this might sound like a noob question, but I dont consider myself a great flyman...though I've done it for a while, I still got a lot to learn. That is why I'm asking these following questions:

I was wondering if there realy is any differance between one wt. and another wt. right next to it? I've been fishing with a #4/#5 for a few years now and was wondering what the differance between 4wt and 5wt is (besides a factor of 1 number)? More over even 9-10wt or 1-2wt for that matter. So what can I expect if I change from a 5wt to a 4wt, any big changes in castability (forget wt. forward lines and such)? Or does it not matter much? I get that the wt. of a rod is an indicator of the strength and bend of the rod, so does the same hold true for the line?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: one wt over another

A 5wt rod will be a bit more powerful than a 4wt rod, on average. It should have more pulling power. The 5wt line will work a bit better than a 4wt line at turning over larger flies and weight. It will not present flies quite as delicately as the 4wt though.

I'm fairly sure most 4wt and 5wt lines from the same manufacturer are built on the same core, which is what determines the strength of the line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

On the less expensive rods and GLASS for sure, there really isn't much difference in say a 4 or 5.
On the upper end rods I think there is a big difference because more detail is put into the taper.
I started off collecting evens, so 2wt, 4wt, 6wt, and 8wt. but I found I need a 3wt. and a 5wt. 5 more for rivers that I know there are 20" fish. I could land them with a 4wt and for that matter a 2wt, but I C&R and therefore I prefer to get them in fast and release, less strain on the fish.
Then there is what Cliff said. The size of fly. I certainly would want to be casting a 6X tippet with a #30 fly on a 6wt. 5wt is questionable and a 4wt and smaller makes sense. You can feel more with a light weight rod.
Flex is another big issue. If you have a 6 wt very slow action rod like Glass or Bamboo, you might want a 5wt line to speed it up a bit. If it is a very fast rod, you might want a 7wt to slow it down.

Again, on the less expensive rods, I don't believe there is a big difference in fact they might even be rated as a 4/5 for example.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Ok thanks, I had thought that was the way things worked but had a hard time finding any info that gave me a hard answer. Yes my rod I got is a 4/5 that I got on a starter kit 7 years ago now by the Cortland company. Cant cast worth anything in a wind but calm it works nice. I looked up at the Cortland web site and they had many rods from 3/4 to 9/10 wt.
I am sure a #4 would do fine on bigger stream trout since an ultra light rod can handle it. Some of our favorate spots it was hard to get a fly rod in due to the tree growth, we then used small spinners and cranks (trout love yo zuri gobies and kili fish). The thing the fly rod has is the length making fish control easy. Though I use to catch nothing but small fish the 9' rod made it easy to control the fish for fast easy catch release.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Right on! What makes things worse is soooooo many choices of lines now. So many people absolutely love Triangle Taper. I have some and on my Glass and Bamboo I am muscling trying to get it out, but on the 5'3" Fenwich it is fantastic. Some of my rods love DT and some love WF, but when ever I get a new rod, I am out in the driveway trying all the choices to see what the rod likes.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Some of my rods love DT and some love WF, but when ever I get a new rod, I am out in the driveway trying all the choices to see what the rod likes.
Wow that sounds expensive. The cost of fly fishing certainly is what is certainly what is killing the popularity of fly fishing. I cant justify spending more than 40 dollars on a fly line, let alone spending big money on lots of different fly lines just to get the right line for my rod.

I probably have the wrong fly line for all 3 of my rods(none of which was over 200 dollars), but i dont have the money to try and find the right line for my rod.

From another thread:

This is not killing fly fishing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Bones View Post
Fishstick is right... local fly shops are getting thinner and thinner. Fly gear sales nationwide are down. The 1980's and 90's saw the rapid rise of the popularity of fly fishing. Many folks attribute this to "A River Runs Through It". Now, as the new has worn off, we are experiencing a downturn.
The cost is.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM

I think if it is down it is the price of equipment. I an watching fly line go from $45. up to $65. and even $99. Upper end rods are going for over $700.
I don't know if it is because they are USA made or warranties. Warranties take a beating with people buying then deciding they don't want it so returning it or breaking it on purpose.
I know a gentlemen from another forum that has OWNED over 100 rods in a short period of time and that is because he buys it, tries it for a week then sends it back for refund. They can't sell it new anymore.
I was FF long before the movie, but I am sure it has a BIG impact.
I am noticing more people are building rods because of the rising prices.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

My feeling on this is that the number the manufacturer puts on the rod is a suggestion. I wouldn't ever buy a flyrod (especially at the upper end) with just the reputation alone or a suggestion from another person without trying it first and this limits you to buying rods from only the corner store that will let you try the rod. I'll try a range of lines on either side of the manufacturers suggested line weight and see how "my casting style" fits that particular rod with different lines.

I view a particular rod as having a given power(0-14) and a given action (tip action to parabolic). the tip action rod would need a short casting stroke and powerful and agressive power application while the other end, a longer stroke and slower application of power. There is overlapping of these factors when you change lines. The tip action rod will bend more with a heavier line and a slower rod will sharpen up a little with a lighter line.

In other words Joni with a lot of casting experience and a smaller frame might need a 4 on a particular rod and a new inefficient caster weighing 250# might need a 5 just because of the way the rod is loaded.

I feel that a rod is going to have a "sweet spot" with a particular line with a particular caster's style, efficiency ,body size and casting conditions

All these factors will determine the line weight of a rod. The taper of the line can subtly change the performance to fine tune your rod to the conditions and style.

my motto ---TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM

And that is not just a motto, it is gospel!
Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
In other words Joni with a lot of casting experience and a smaller frame might need a 4 on a particular rod and a new inefficient caster weighing 250# might need a 5 just because of the way the rod is loaded.
HEY! quit pickin on us fat kids! (besides, we're more likely to need an 8wt to learn how to cast so we can feel it load. well, I did anyway)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.