The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By swimmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM

swimmy will become famous soon enough
Default Boulder River on Sat, Yellowstone River Sunday

I floated the Boulder on Saturday. It is getting low so probably the last float of the year on this one. Below 750 cfs and it is difficult to float...we did it at 725. Floated from Boulder Forks down to Otter (Yellowstone) which is about 17 miles. I had a good friend come who loves to row but doesn't fish so I had it all to myself. Anyway, streamer bite was ok early but wrecked 'em on the chubby from about 10 am on. It was probably a 30 fish day.

Such a cool piece of water.

Click the image to open in full size.

Saw an owl...

...and a lot of Brown trout. I've fished this river for years and this is about as big as I've caught. I'm sure there are bigger ones but I've yet to see 'em.

Sunday we floated the Yellowstone from Loch down to Carter's. My favorite flows on this river are 4000 cfs to 7000. We are now right at 4000 which is unseasonably low for this time of year. Fishing has been good but this thing may be a puddle come late August which could result in closures. Anyway, gotta get it while you can! No real pigs but turned some nice ones and got a couple decent fish in the net. Again, all fish were tricked on the chubby.

By far my favorite place in the world.

handsome little fella

She lives to fight another day.

It was a decent weekend. Summer time is here and it is getting hot. Gonna sneak out to the Gallatin this evening and beat the heat.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Boulder River on Sat, Yellowstone River Sunday

awesome pictures. Looks like a good couple of days. and you can't beat a friend who would rather row than fish. BTW, what is a chubby?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, some nice looking Browns, congrats! That owl reminded me of the one I saw floating the New Fork river last week, but I couldn't get to the camera quick enough for a photo. Looks like we are all in the same boat with the low water, kind of scary when you think how early we are into the summer.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:37 PM

A chubby is a foam dry fly pattern. Super fun to fish and pretty much my go-to during summer fishing (besides hoppers.) You can drop a beadhead or a smaller dry off the back if you want. I usually fish it solo and twitch 'em here-and-there which gives it some life.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Nice.. we were all set to do the bird float Sunday.. went west at the last minute..
Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Beautiful fish and drift.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I took a break from the Yellowstone the last couple of days and went high on one of the Paradise Valley tributaries, catching 6-15 inch cutthroats by the dozens on big fluffy dry flies. (Way more of them were closer to 6 inches than were close to 15, but I did catch one 15 incher and enough over 12 inches to keep things interesting.) Had a friend with me today up there, and he said, "Well, I don't think anybody would make a trip to Montana just to do this kind of fishing, but it sure is fun once in a while." Had to try out my new Sage 3 wt...at least that's my excuse.

Had a funny thing happen right next to the house the other day. There's a gradually widening side channel next to the house, and for a while it had enough water to attract a few of the guides to go down it instead of the main channel. It's now getting a little too low to do so (and I can finally wade across it easily). But there were two guys in a small raft that came down it late in the morning, and the angler hooked a very nice brown in a little eddy. I watched him play it to the net, and it looked to be 18-20 inches. Late that afternoon I decided to do a little fishing, and drifted a nymph through that eddy, and caught a 19 inch brown. Now it's a tiny little eddy, and I wouldn't think there would be two browns that size in it. Think that fish was caught twice in the same day?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_a View Post
I took a break from the Yellowstone the last couple of days and went high on one of the Paradise Valley tributaries, catching 6-15 inch cutthroats by the dozens on big fluffy dry flies. (Way more of them were closer to 6 inches than were close to 15, but I did catch one 15 incher and enough over 12 inches to keep things interesting.) Had a friend with me today up there, and he said, "Well, I don't think anybody would make a trip to Montana just to do this kind of fishing, but it sure is fun once in a while." Had to try out my new Sage 3 wt...at least that's my excuse.

Had a funny thing happen right next to the house the other day. There's a gradually widening side channel next to the house, and for a while it had enough water to attract a few of the guides to go down it instead of the main channel. It's now getting a little too low to do so (and I can finally wade across it easily). But there were two guys in a small raft that came down it late in the morning, and the angler hooked a very nice brown in a little eddy. I watched him play it to the net, and it looked to be 18-20 inches. Late that afternoon I decided to do a little fishing, and drifted a nymph through that eddy, and caught a 19 inch brown. Now it's a tiny little eddy, and I wouldn't think there would be two browns that size in it. Think that fish was caught twice in the same day?
Very well could have been. A couple years ago I was fishing hoppers on the Yellowstone. I caught a nice brown on a foam pattern and the fish had the exact same pattern stuck in his mouth. The other fly looked brand new. It seems I read that fish have a memory of 10-30 minutes but I could be mistaken. Maybe someone else can chime in??

Oh and I love creek fishing. I do fish the big rivers more than anything else but especially mid to late summer I start moving up into the tribs. You are right, not many people come to Montana to fish creeks but we have some fantastic creek fishing. Fun to have those 50 fish days and not see another soul.