The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road
Default Wader Repair Kits?

Hey folks! Thanks for such a great forum!

I have a question. I just bought Loon's UV curing wader repair stuff, and at first I thought it worked like a charm. It went on easy, cured fast and stopped the leak.

The problem came about 2 weeks later when the repairs started to crack and peel back. Now water is leaking in again and I have UV curing goop in the way of making a clean repair.

Anyone experience this before with the Loon product? Is there something else I should try? Maybe some sort of silicone based product that won't harden and crack? I'm using Sims Freestone waders if that helps.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wader Repair Kits?

Aqua Seal. Enough said
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What I've found is that if you want a temporary fix, the Loon product works well. Sometimes it can be a permanent fix depending on where you're leaking.

+1 on Aquaseal. The trick with this stuff is to apply THIN layers. Less is more with this stuff. Add a second or 3rd coat if needed, but again, THIN layers. I learned the hard way with this stuff on old waders that are no longer in use. Too much Aquaseal can be problematic depending on where you're applying it.

Can you live without them for a while? If so, I'd recommend contacting Simms and have them do the repair. They'll do an excellent job and likely find some areas in need of attention that you may have otherwise missed. I sent mine in a year ago because I knew I had an issue (tear in the leg--thanks barbed wire). Upon getting them back, I was amazed by the number of repairs they made.

Repairs
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM

How long would they be gone for if I sent them back (ish)? They are my only pair so I would miss them like I miss breathing!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately this is the height of wader repair I'm afraid. I've learned the best is dead of winter. Usually they will give you a time frame though if you call them, and that helps in making the decision. One thing that will really help those guys if you make sure they are clean when you send them. I've heard some horror stories from the wader repair guys of getting boxes of waders reeking of week-long sweat, mud, and fish ooze to boot. That pair probably sat for awhile
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM

That sounds "RIPE".

About the aquaseal, I'm seeing an UV cure wader repair type and a urethane repair adhesive. Which one should I be looking at?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

This:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

The aqua seal is flexible, worked great on my first set of waders. They are my backups now.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM

OK. I just picked up Aquaseal (the same as in the pic above). I will give it a try.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
OK. I just picked up Aquaseal (the same as in the pic above). I will give it a try.

Thanks for all the help!
AS is expensive as all heck given what you get. But as noted above very light coats are needed. Quick and thick just doesn't work for heck. Just noted you're another 'Rogue River Rat.'