The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

I, as of last year, am the proud owner of a great baitcasting setup that I'll whip out on the boat for bass and bay fishing, though I still use a fly about 75-80% of the time even in those situations.

I won the rod and reel (a Shimano Curado, great reel) at a CCA (Coastal Conservation Association) Happy Hour raffle, it was by far the big prize. Everyone in the room teased me, tried to trade the tumblers, soft-side coolers, etc. that they won in the raffle for it, exclaiming one after another that "the fly guy doesbn't know what to do with that rig!"
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

I'm not proud. I have a spin rod and a bait caster. The wife has a trick UL spin caster too. Sometimes a flyrod just doesn't work in the area you would like to fish.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

You all make very valid points about the time and place for almost every kind of gear. Take today, for example... While the river runs by the house no more than 65 or so feet from where I sit, and a small hatch has been on most of the day, I won't grab a fly rod and take advantage of the ongoing "bugs." It's 94 degrees right now in northern Michigan, and I'd rather not stress any trout in that kind of weather.

On the other hand, I had a ball with one of my "fishing cronies" and his granddaughter at a little lake not far from here, as the crappies and bluegills were more than willing. The gear? The little ultra-light spinning outfit... With a campground right on the lake, there's very little room for any kind of back cast without fear of an inadvertant "hook-up."

It's nice to see that I'm in such good company when it comes to being "flexible" with the gear choices. After all, the bottom line is that we were at the little lake and out fishing...
von behr and troutnut4 like this.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I'm a bipolar angler. I spend half the year in Missouri, where I spend 95% of my fishing time on the Ozark streams fishing for smallmouth bass. I spend the other half in Montana, where I spend nearly all my fishing time on rivers and streams fishing for trout. In Missouri, where I grew up, 95% of my smallmouth fishing is done with baitcasting and spinning tackle. In Montana, I've yet to fish for trout with anything but a fly rod, though I think about it now and then just wondering what I could catch with my baitcasting tackle and big minnow-shaped crankbaits.

As much as I love fly fishing, my first true love was and probably still is floating a smallmouth stream in a canoe. And if you're floating in a canoe, it isn't easy nor really very efficient to use a fly rod, compared to the baitcasting and spinning tackle. It's not that I HAVE to catch fish, I just purely enjoy fishing well, no matter what kind of tackle I use.

So yeah...I own and frequently use 10 baitcasting outfits, 4 spinning outfits, and 9 fly rods.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I fish with casting, spinning, and fly gear. As of the last year or so, my preference is with a fly rod. But allot of times in waters or areas I fish a fly rod just isn't practical. And I'm not going to pass because I can't fish it with a fly rod. But everything I can fish with flies I do.

Meep....Meep.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough

Funny to read this post today, yesterday was the first day I went out to a lake and used spin tackle for probably over three years.
Caught a few smallmouth, it was all fun but not quite the same excitement of the fly. I saw carp rising on a hatch, and I realized pretty quick that I need to decide on a 7wt outfit..
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

When I discovered what I was missing in a fly rod I was hooked. I haven't used my spin rods in years. I just keep trying to do more with the fly rod. I have been in situations thou where I know a spin rod would be superior but I guess I like the challenge of trying to make it work.

Nothing at all wrong with them, but for me it's a fly rod or a 2 handed rod.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Spinning, baitcasting & trolling! All have their time & place for me!
Totally agree with BigJim. Currently use my fly gear in more situations than I probably should, but that's because I've had it for only a year or so and I'm still learning what I can and can't do with it. Actually, I'm learning to do more with it every day, but I know it will never totally displace my other gear.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I have somewhere between 15-20 Spin/Baitcasting setups. Fishing is Fishing for me. Don't get me wrong I love fly fishing but bass tournaments or fishing in the deep clear lakes in N.Cali I'll fish those over a fly rod. A super heavy sinking line and waiting 20 seconds for it to hit the bottom just doesn't tickle my fancy
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

I have ONE spin cast set up specifically for catfish. Not ashamed to say I used it all last weekend at the lake. It was strange when you go from using a fly rod for several years then sudden switch to a spin cast (just for the weekend of course, HAHAHA)