The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

I own more fly rods than spinning rods but I still spin fish often. All of us know that there days when a spinner will out fish a fly in a heart beat. So I usually have a spinner along.
Dennis
Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've become a bit of a tackle junkie. I fished exclusively with a fly rod, a 6 wt for many years, the result of a house fire that destroyed all my equipment, and at the time the only thing I replaced was the fly rod. Since then, I've added quite a bit of tackle to my arsenal.

I thoroughly enjoy fishing with a fly rod, but experienced enough situations where it was not the best choice at the time. It's admirable for anyone to wish to stick with one type of tackle, however, I feel that I missed some great fishing by doing so.

Just an example, several years ago, I was in Orlando, Fl & drove up to Dunnelleon to fish with a friend who had moved to that area. This was my second time on the Rainbow River, but first time fishing with this friend. I took my 6 wt along, but that day spinning gear & senko type plastic worms were the ticket for success as the bass were up under the over hanging trees, and the worm had to be skipped under the trees. The fly rod left me fishing the occasional open spot, and since we were also drifting with the current, I was making one cast for about every 15 or 20 my friend was making. He was catching plenty of fish, I was fishless! Even roll casting, I could not get the fly back far enough under those trees to where the bass were.

Fortunately, my buddy had extra spinning gear & I switched & had a great day of fishing. He still out fished me, but that was fine with me!

Such experiences have taught me that having the right tool when needed, may be the difference between a good day of catching, or a day of casting practice!
Of course, any day fishing with what you have available is still better than not fishing at all!

Now, in that scenario, had I been fishing alone with only the fly rod, I would certainly have tried to figure something out that worked!

IMO, fly fishing has improved my fishing with other tackle, but I also feel that the diversity of using other tackle has in turn, improved my fishing with a fly rod. I've been in situation that I needed to figure out what would work when using bait casting or spinning gear, and once I did, at other times I've been able to relate using a fly rod in similar situations. Doesn't always work that way, as others have said, because of the limitations of each type of tackle, but enough times that I feel it's made me a better angler generally.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

If I'm trout fishing, I'm using a fly rod. If I'm bass fishing, I'm probably using a baitcaster. I keep an ultralight around for ponds and small warmwater rivers. I fish for a variety of species and use lots of different techniques to catch them. This year I've probably used my fly rod greater than 50% of the time.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 AM

mtdave is on a distinguished road

Mitchell 300's or C.A.P. reels here on Fenwick glass or old South Bend rods.
Jitter Bugs, Flatfish, and Daredevils.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

It does my ol' heart good to see so many diverse, yet honest opinions being offered up. Kudos to you all for opening up on the contents of your rod bins...

Having read over all of the posts to this thread, I've noticed a couple of recurring themes, the first being that there is no right or wrong way to fish. Fishing-- be it anything from gear choices to releasing or keeping fish --remains a matter of personal choice and your own set of standards and beliefs.

The second theme? That would be the fact that many fishermen still hold to one of my grandfather's "life standards" in anything he did-- "A good craftsman knows that you always need to have the right tools to get the job done..." And, so it goes...
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

And, since we're on the subject of the light or ultra-light spinning gear, how many out there utilize jigs when fishing, or make their own? The reason that I ask is as follows...

I have three good friends who occasionally bid on my behalf for "blind-box" auctions at estate sales and the like, particularly those boasting evidence of a heavy fishing presence. As the guys are scattered around the country, it's amazing what is often found in these "surprise" packages.

For those of you unfamiliar with the "blind-box" premise, a bidder basically takes a "shot in the dark" and bids on a sealed box of items that only hint at the contents. It's akin to an off-season "Christmas package," everytime one shows up at the house.

I just opened one of the last boxes and it's loaded up with jigs of varying weights, a good 2000-3000 jig hooks, and plenty of jig bodies. There even are some cork heads for making poppers and the like.

If enough members are interested, I'll work on the massive array between finishing my "FITW" boxes, split it up into easy to handle packages, and make them available. All that would be asked of any of those interested in the stuff would be to cover shipping costs, and to make a donation toward helping me cover the costs for my free tying classes for "my kids"-- an annual affair for a small group of kids battling/surviving cancer, the same as I am.

If you're interested, let me know via e-mail or PM, and I'll put you on the list. And, if you include an e-mail address, I'll forward pics, once the sorting is done. My e-mail is jwarrington1@copper.net

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I have a couple of spinning rods, though I use them rarely. Here's the situations:

Fishing with others: especially kids as they often are doing the bobber and worm thing and its good to be doing what they're doing. They can watch and imitate you. Also, my father (my #1 fishing buddy!) doesn't flyfish. Not much of a problem unless we're exploring a new lake in a boat. He likes to troll to find fish. It works to have one of us fish a deep runing lure and the other something that runs shallow.

A lot of warmwater lakes and rivers have places that the locals congregate. Sometimes, a flyrod isn't good because it requires some space.

The other factor is time: if it's at a premium, a fly rod takes awhile to assemble and string up. A spinning rod is much faster.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

2 baitcasters, 4 spinning rods, 5 ice jigging rods... And a cane pole!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

I have lots of spinning gear- ultralight, drift, float, and surf. A few baitcasters for steelhead, stripers, and bass. I also have a lot of ice fishing gear I don't use much but when the opportunity arises... About the only methods I no longer do are spearfish at night for carp, bowfish for carp, and seine for bait and carp. I mainly fly fish but if I ever retire I will definitely use my other tackle a lot more.
Some of the absolute best fly fishers, that I know, are also great gear fishers.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I have a couple. Covered in dust. I think the mono on my spinning reel is probably 10 years old. It's a pretty nice reel too - I should sell it.