The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Not me, unless I am fishing very deep salt water. Never fish fresh with anything but flies.
Rip Tide likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

OK, intervention time.

I'm a full time crappie guy, usually longline, but been known to shoot some docks and pull cranks as well depending upon my mood and fishing conditions and location. I have as many different types and duplicate copies of the different types of crappie spinning gear, I bet I rival some of you guys in total # of rods. For some reason, you need different "types" of rods depending on the style or method you are employing for the day. Sounds like fly fishing don't it.

Crappie are my primary target whether using the above methods or trying to look like I know what I'm doing when holding a fly rod. I catch the occasional gill as well, and my first fish on a fly rod was a blue gill that I beat to death first by casting the spider back at him so many times, guess he felt sorry for me.

So I'm a part time fly rodder.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing to me just how many people here do not trust the fly rod.
You all should be embarrassed to be here. This is a fly fishing forum.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 AM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Mr. Tide. I am now truly embarrassed by your statement.
Mike
siege likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Nobody need be ashamed and NOBODY has the right to point shame at anyone for fishing both fly and hardware. We all progress at different rates and there are other reasons behind not switching to 100% fly fishing. I know for me there were many times up to a few years ago I would go out and fish the methods my Dad showed me prior to fly fishing, nostalgia is just a nice feeling sometimes. Others do not yet have the confidence to give up hardware and others will never give it up. Nobody should be pointing fingers here, that is rubbish, how do you learn and progress if you do not come to Communities like FFF? Man I cannot believe this is an issue here with anybody. I welcome all fishers input, helps me out at times and I enjoy the input of almost everyone here. More important to all of you, do not be put off by the behaviour of one person, this is a great place to come for information sharing. The Admin cares about the people here, Ard went out of his way last winter to find me and phone me because someone was looking for me. I love it here, always will, you folks please keep sharing......Kerry
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM

ib me is on a distinguished road

MR Tide, You know its kinda sad people want to be told the truth want people to be honest,and when they are the same people get upset. We all know this is a fly fishing site. If it offends someone to talk about spin gear or other types of fishing gear GET OVER IT !! Don't read the post My spin fishing offends you .I 'll help you out some. I will leave this site so I wont offend you or anyone else that Never uses a spin rod
Dennis:
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Don't be ashamed because you use spin rods or bait rods,use what your comfortable with,i left spin fishing 14 years ago and have never looked back.I am a troutbum till the end.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't think there was something wrong with fishing,,no matter how you do it. I use spin for cat-fishing.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

I keep a few 7 foot spinning rods to use at the coast....nothing like sitting in a chair, casting into the suds, and relaxing in the sun........every now and then, I actually have to get up and do a little work.......

Click the image to open in full size.

and I tend to really enjoy fishing.....no matter what method I use......

Click the image to open in full size.

Gotta love those shimano reels!!!
grouch likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, and I totally reject the notion that somehow fly fishing is the epitome of fishing, or that fly fishers are the most highly evolved or most advanced anglers. There are beauties, joys, challenges, history, advanced techniques and varying degrees of proficiency to whatever kind of tackle you're using, and fishing well is no more or less difficult with fly tackle than other tackle. Where difficulties arise are when you use a type of tackle for a purpose to which it isn't well-suited, like fishing very deep with fly tackle, or trying to subdue a 500 pound saltwater monster with a fly rod, or having to use a casting bubble to fish a fly on spinning tackle, or trying to cast a 1/16th ounce jig with a baitcast reel. If you want to handicap yourself by trying to do those kinds of things, that's fine, but it doesn't mean you're a better or more advanced angler for doing so.