The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Then you get part time fly fishers who come here to slam other fly fishers? In my mind you come here to learn about what you enjoy part time. When you make statement claiming we are elitest etc. it actually puts that light on yourself. Come and enjoy the camaraderie, stop the rest of the nonsense, it is just fishing not a contest. one guy makes an unkind statement and you start in on everyone, what does that say?
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

My spinning setup keeps my other fly rods company as they sit in the corner. I refuse to get rid of it because there's always tools for the right jobs... And conventional gear is just one other tool in the arsenal of a true fisherman... I just haven't picked up that tool in a long time. But it's there whenever I may need it. If I become immobile... I'd like to know I can still at least dunk a worm
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You know what really set me off the other day?
Someone here asked what I would consider a very good question about a basic fly fishing technique.
Not only did he get just a few responses, but no one knew the answer !
Basic stuff, fly fishing 101

And yet this thread is on page 6
Old 07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I haven't fished conventional in years. Nevertheless, I have kept a couple custom rods built by a family friend.

I plan to go bottom fishing in the within next month on a charter boat and that will be all gear "fishing." I'm not going for the sport I'm going to fill my freezer. I may even go on a rock fish/salmon combo trip.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

For me, it really comes down to the "depth" of fishing. If the fish are 15' to 20' deep, a fly rod just doesn't make any sense to use? ...... even with a sink line?

I think a fly rod is much more fun and relaxing to fish with. And with Bluegills, I can catch much more with a fly rod!

But! ..... I enjoy fishing both!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Dear Rip Tide,

Please accept my sincerest apologies, if this thread somehow offended. That was not its intent, and it was more of a curiousity thing on my part.

Approximately, 99.9 percent of my own fishing is done with a fly rod. Always has been and always will be. But, on rare occasion, I do enjoy a quiet summer's evening in the front of an old row boat with a spinning rod in hand and the company of a lifelong friend who's as passionate about his spin-fishing as I am about everything "fly." I respect his right to fish as he sees fit, and when the evening's done and the beverages are cold, I don't feel any less of a fly-wrangler because of it...

So long as an angler brings ethics, responsible behavior and respect to the table and applies it to the resource, I won't sit in judgment of his or her choices. And, yes, NAFFF is a fly-fishing forum, but we anglers are a diverse and varied lot, and that's what makes us a constant source of fascination. As the Orvis ad loosely says, "It's not how we fish... It's that we fish..."
fly_guy12955 and yonder like this.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I wish this was a poll. I gave up on spinning gear about 25 years ago when I somehow turned a beautiful brookie inside-out trying to save my last spinner.
I don't miss spinning gear and manage to somehow enjoy fishing now even if the pickens are slim.
If I'm not catching it's still all practice on getting the fly to certain spots and/or controlling the drift.
There are times when flies trump any bait or hardware. The hex hatch for instance or a memorable time in Lake Saint Clair when the big smallmouth bass could not resist a dark clouser.
It's all good though as long as you play within the rules.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I must say, I'm bewildered by how "snippy" this thread became. It seemed like an innocent enough question to start out.

"Can somebody please pass the Grey Poupon?"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I must say, I'm bewildered by how "snippy" this thread became. It seemed like an innocent enough question to start out.

"Can somebody please pass the Grey Poupon?"
No need for it either. Fishing is fishing. I like a fly rod but I use spinning gear a lot when the wind comes up off the gulf, or the fish are holding deep, or are in a little mangrove creek with the tide ripping and its all I can do to keep the boat straight with the trolling motor, and no time for the three ring circus of trying to fly cast on top of that. Its also (in the salt) a great way to explore a lot of water relatively quickly. When I find the fish I'll switch over.

But hell, I ain't proud. I'll drown bait for grouper and snapper and catfish. I've been known to tip a streamer with a bit of live shrimp when the mangrove snapper get *****y. I'll even bowfish if I want a nice fresh tilapia out of a canal for dinner. It's all good as long as you're having fun.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

dam guys take it easy .the guy asked a simple question.there are plenty of real things in the world to get upset about like how our government is mortgaging our future to pay for unwanted substandard health care. this its just fishing, theres no right or wrong answer just do want you enjoy and let others do the same. this is one of the few forums im apart of where everybodyis curteous and helpful most of the time cant we just try to keep it that way.