The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:58 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Hear, hear!! (Or is it "Here, here"??)

Anyways, dpreller is right: It is only fishing.

I understand where Rip Tide is coming from but sometimes it is fun to just toss out the old night crawler, sit back, and do nothing. I know this is a fly fishing forum but that doesn't mean that every single thing on here is talking about fly fishing exclusively.

We all have our vices....

I plopped some worms out there just a couple weeks ago because I was lazy. I just wanted to get out and do something but I was too lazy to really fish. I wanted an excuse to smoke a nice cigar a friend gave me. If course, the bluegills just nibbled at the darn worms and I didn't really catch anything. And I saw fish rising left and right to suck flies off the surface of the water.

But that's life. I had a notion to go back to the car and grab my fly rod but then I remembered why I was there in the first place.

At the same time, it is sad that some questions don't get answered. I am still in fly fishing 101. I can answer some basic questions but I do not feel like I am qualified to answer many yet.

But this is just an opinion, really. And just like everybody has noses, everybody also has opinions. This was a "fun" topic, I think, hence the many responses.

Also, I have found that many more fly fishing 101 questions get answered during the winter months. Maybe it is because people are spending more time looking at the Internet than doing actual fishing!

ray
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

My wife likes to 'bank fish' from her fold out chair. So, go with her some,,set the spinning rods out and sit down.

But she always raises them eyebrows when I retrive a flyrod from the vehicle and wander round casting streamers,poppers,etc to the cover for bass lol

They she'll say''next time Mr, take ya boat..you love it better than me anyways !" (that's just for 'guilt effect' lol)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=fly_guy12955;581358..you love it better than me anyways !" (that's just for 'guilt effect' lol)[/QUOTE]

I may have married your wife's long lost sister.
siege likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I must say, I'm bewildered by how "snippy" this thread became. It seemed like an innocent enough question to start out.

"Can somebody please pass the Grey Poupon?"
Should I have read all of the posts on this thread to get an idea where your comment is coming from?
I hope you didn't take my post as 'snippy'. To each their own as long as it's within the law.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

This thread brings up a few good points!

I can go fishing quite a lot ....... so I do! I take my flyrod out for a evening's fishing, then the next day I take my UL spin.

I have a pontoon, so I can take both? Most times I do!

I had so much fun with my 3 wt and some wonderful micro-buggers. I must have caught >50 bluegills. But the very next time I took my 3 wt and nose hooked some Gulp Alive tiny baits. I must have caught >100!

Tonight, I used my UL spin and caught a bunch of beautiful crappie in about 20' of water (the crappie go deep in the hot summer)

So, it really comes down to fun for me? I use all kinds of stuff with my 3 wt, and I fish with my UL spin a lot! It's all fun, and I'm a happy guy? What can I say?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 AM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold

It's been fun to watch the development of this thread. The honesty has been refreshing, and the diversity and openness of the opinions here truly shows what a unique group we collectively are. Kudos to you all...

I choose to cast a fly just because it's how I was introduced to fishing, and because I enjoy so many aspects of the sport. That said, should my aforementioned "friend of all that spins" offer up the occasional evening float with spinning gear in hand, I'll usually take him up on it. Far be it from me to shun a friend for a difference in gear choices.

Fly fishing is my escape... an escape from a world gone mad, and a retreat from the history of cancer battles that have been my life since 1999. I've beaten back three brain tumors in that time, one of which rendered me blind from 2004 until the "miracle surgery" of 2009. Now, fully sighted again, I fly fish because I love the places to which my wading leads me. But, that's just me...

The bottom line is this... "We fish... Therefore, We are... So, when the twilight hours come this evening and the work is done, grab whatever gear you'd like, and find yourself a fine stretch of river, a small out-of-the-way lake or some farmer's pond, and just fish... In doing so, I hope that you find that we all bring a little something different to the proverbial table. And, that, my friends, is a very good thing...
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post

I hope you didn't take my post as 'snippy'. To each their own as long as it's within the law.
Not at all Jackster... the "snippy" (perhaps "snobby") comments came long before your post. My post just happened to follow yours purely by coincidence.

The posts I was referring to were definitely not along the lines of, "to each their own."

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

I use the spin rod occasionally but I refuse to use power bait because it seems like the trout always swallow the hook and since I always catch and release I hate injuring the fish trying to dig a hook out of their guts. Lures only for me.

Last edited by bassguitarplayer; 08-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I found a spinning rod in the garage. I think it was a gift from some magazine subscription. And two ice rods. Have I used any, no. I have been fly fishing the majority of my life.
In as much as I would like to catch Mac and a Sturgeon, if it cannot be done on a fly, it just isn't going to happen.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

When I fly fish it's because I want both a challenging day working on my technique/seeing if the flies I've tied will fool fish, and to catch a beautiful surface feeding gill or a nice fat trout, take a good look and maybe a picture and let it go. Now then, having said that: I was raised casting an ultralight with a Warden's Rooster tail to hungry rock bass and small mouth in the streams of East KY. I STILL like to fish that same way when I'm on a medium sized warm water stream like that. Also, If I'm fishing warm water it's because I'm bringing fish home to eat. I always release trout, but Rock bass, shell cracker, crappie, and bull bluegill come home to feed the family and are typically caught on spin gear. I've fished warm water with a fly, but with limited success. I WILL keep trying, but when I'm bring home dinner, I go with da spin gear, and not ashamed of it!