The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Having worked for a small bit in what amounted to a tackle shop, I became interested in other forms of fishing primarily because I haven't been exposed to them prior. I did not grow up in New England casting eels to striper in the dead of night and thought it might be fun to try. Also, I have never owned a rod capable of chucking a 2oz lure. Additionally I found out that I had a strong attraction to Yo zuri lures, all of this added up to me just having to buy a light salt combo. It's top flight stuff and is genuinely fun to fish with. I enjoy using it as much as I enjoy using my flyrods, it's just a different tool for a different job with the same end goal....pleasure.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

No guilt ... lately I've been pretty into the fly rod, but that isn't all I ever do. It seems to be what I like the best, all things being equal, but there are times and places where it's not what is most called for.

Now, freshwater trout trolling ... that's where I draw the line. I live 5 minutes from a lake that is famously teaming with lake trout, some of them gigantic, and the downrigger trollers do very well all summer long, my nextdoor neighbor among them. He gets some really big fish, too. But. What a frickin boring way to fish, jeezum! No thanks.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM

kaleun is on a distinguished road

I use a spinning road for trout when I need to refill my freezer.