The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold
Default Time To 'Fess Up...

How many "fly-wranglers" out there still keep company with a spinning rod-- ultra-light, standard, et al --and go after the occasional crappies, 'gills, bass, et al when the weather isn't right for chasing trout? I will be the first to confess to having an ultra-light spinning outfit in among my fly rods, and a box of jigs, poppers and crappie flies, to boot...

Anyone else??

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM

swimmy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Not ashamed at all to admit I have a couple ultralights. I will occasionally fish gear on the lakes during run-off and guests sometimes will want to spin fish. When fishing for trout I always pinch barbs and cut treble hooks down so there is only one hook.

I love watching a jointed Rapala work in the water. Actually, there are a lot really cool lures out there.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have a three piece seven foot spin rod that I use for Striped Bass in the local rivers and for saltwater species (Dorado, Pacific Sailfish, Skipjack Tuna).

I usually have the spin rod on the boat when I go fishing for Striped Bass. I will use a diving Bomber lure that resembles a Rainbow Trout.

For my last trip to Loreto, Mexico, the rod was used for trolling and live bait fishing. Sometimes the fish would not look at flies.

I will be taking the spin rig to Christmas Island. I will use it for catching tuna for dinner. It will also be used for throwing big monster Yozuri plugs at Giant Trevally.

Dennis
Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I still keep a couple of "conventional" set ups around for various reasons. King Salmon from the shores of Lake Michigan is a tough thing to accomplish with a fly rod. You very rarely have enough room for a backcast and when you do, chances are you have to worry about people jogging, walking, picnicking, etc..behind you. If it's not that, you have a brutal wind at your face and getting big sinking lines and flies out there can be tough. To top it all off, the best fishing is after the sun goes down which makes it even more challenging.

The other exception is musky fishing. I am usually good to go for about 4 to 6 hours of chucking 10" plus flies to musky but damn your arm starts to get tired after a while. It's nice to take a break and chuck lures that weigh in at solid half a pound
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

As much as I like to fly fish for trout, a couple of light tackle spin rigs are kept handy for my two young grandsons when they visit. There is nothing more enjoyable than to see a five year old catch his first fish. They talk about it for ever! Enjoy catching a few mackerel when the run is on as well. I have several light tackle Fenwick spinning rods rigged with Mitchell 300s that make a mackerel feel light a whale. Great fun.
mtdave likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Way back when, guiding for steelhead I kept two gue-sticks around just in case things weren’t going according to plan. Late in the day, if the scoreboard still showed a goose egg, you might be surprised at how many self proclaimed fly only guys willingly picked up the gue. Seems for many, the tug really is the drug.

I also remember a trip to a central American s.w. lodge, where it just wasn’t happening. Better than half the group opted to go with the lodges offer to use their hardware.
(...they had the gear to use on hand. What did they know, that they weren't disclosing in their brochure ? )
Some of those that resisted the urge for the surge, went for long boat rides punctuated with futile fly casting practice, while others used the remaining days to go on photo tours.

Sage builds spinning and casting rods too, so where’s the stigma?

I have always had casting rods rigged for tossing steel and jigs when I head for the bays and ocean out here and if you walked into our den, you’d find four very nice spinning outfits standing ready. We even keep two large clear fly boxes, jammed packed with spinners that have all had their trebles removed and replaced with dressed single barbless siwash hooks, so that our non-fly fishing guests may fish the single barbless, artificial waters with us.

TT
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own a spinning rod, but yesterday I sure wish I had one on the drift boat. Our friend Dick is a total beginner and I didn't realize just how bad his casting is, he tried hard all day but didn't catch a single fish, I really felt bad. If we had a spinning rod on the boat it would have saved the day for him. The GF wants to get Dick a casting lesson at the local fly shop, pretty good idea, so I'm going to stop in this afternoon and see about purchasing a gift certificate for Dick. Need to look around for an old beater spinning rod outfit I can throw in the boat for situations like this.
Joni likes this.

Larry
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I still own a spinning rod and use it on occasion for some catfishing at night on the lake.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Spinning, baitcasting & trolling! All have their time & place for me!
kylebass91 and dakotakid like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The only functional spin rod in my house is the one I bought for my son when he was little
......got him a fly rod at the same time
Joni and imxer like this.