The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough
Default Fishing with style...

I went down to river today in a 1972 International Scout. I got out and rigged up my bamboo 5 weight with an old Hardy Princess reel, much the worse for wear, a bleached and battered Fishpond buttpack and an old Filson tin cloth hat. I was approached by two young guys who took all this in, together with my white hair and beard, and started to talk to me with the reverential assumption that I was the wise-old-guy-of-the-river.

Since they didn’t know the truck actually belonged to my son, the bamboo rod was from China and the old Hardy reel was there because I was too cheap to buy a new one in the first place, I had to bluff my way through the conversation, using familiar fly fishing platitudes that don’t mean anything, while passing for wisdom:

“Well (heh, heh, heh) that’s why they call it fishing…” “Yeah, well you never know about the evening Sulpher hatch…” “Well, it sure is a pretty river…” And so on.

Satisfied with this wisdom they went off upstream. They never found out I didn’t know my ass from left base.

But this little interchange reminded me of how much the gear we bring down to the river is a costume, to signal something about how rich we are or how rugged we are, or what great taste in gear we have or how out on the edge we are or whatever.

I regularly see a guy down here with about $7,000 worth of cumulative gear, and I sometimes see a guy who wet-wades in sneakers and surfer shorts with his hat on backwards and guys who take so much time to get rigged up that the sun almost goes down before they are done. I see guys who seem to pride themselves on their almost-military preparedness, and occasionally, I see some guy who might actually be the wise-old-guy-of-the-river. But I’m always too intimidated to talk to him.

Of course I include myself in this too, Filson hat and all…

Anybody ever notice this? Fishing with style?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing with style...

Sure, hard to miss it on the river. Of course not unique to fishing. Could sit in the mall and see how different people dress differently, depending on culture and upbringing and how they want others to think of them. Sometimes there's an underlying vice, but mostly I think it's pretty harmless.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Regardless of the 'costuming' look in the eyes. Dead in the eyes. That'll tell you if his gear is costume or the tools of a fish hunter.

I will say,,a simple ragged fisherman may be a novice too, and a hi dollar rigged fisherman may be deadly. Or, the other way around.

Gear tells you little, the eyes tell you a lot.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 AM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Gfirob, I like your style !

Then again......
I think if a guy can afford and appriciate the best, more power to him. Enjoy it !
On the other hand, if each and every single piece of gear he has on is brand spanking new, that will tell the tale.

We use to go to Sturgis every year. It was pretty easy to tell the bikers from the "posers". Brand new everything. Pressed crisp creases in the Levis. No wear on the shiny new boots, and matching riding apparel all purchased at the same time from the same dealer. Probably couldn't find the spark plugs if they had to.

What you wear says a lot about you, wether it's genuine, or contrived.
Be what you are, not what you think other people expect you to be.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

You forgot about "deception"

The guys that are really catchin' will tell you "no fish left in this polluted cesspool" while the guy who really doesn't catch anything will say "I'm catchin' like crazy ...... I must have landed 25 so far"

I expect that everyone will lie about everything! That's the way it is now!

I have nice fly gear, only because I love to fish and I like nice stuff! not to impress anyone!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the mid 90s I used to fish a lot at night after I got out of work.
This was late, after midnight and no one was ever there, (not that I cared) so I would fish right in my chef whites. I think that I had 9wt StCroix Pro Graphite with a Medalist reel at the time.
It was a good place to fish every night as there was a bay that was separated by a short inlet from the open water and I could fish on either the inside or the outside depending on the tide
The tide was incoming that night so I was out in front fishing the surf. The on-shore "breeze" was up pretty good. Somewhat over 15 mph.
Difficult but not impossible.
I fished for a while but it was early in the tide and there was nothing going on. So... beer time !

I got back to the truck and there's a guy at a Range Rover getting suited up. Full Orvi$ gear, T&T rod.
We get to talking about stripers and striper fishing and he tells me that he following the migration and will be for the next few weeks.
I'm very envious to say the least. I figured the guy must be at the top of his game.
He asks about the wind. I tell him that is strong but do-able so he heads out and I go back to my beer.
After I finish swilling a couple I follow him out, but here he is on his way back.

After b*tching me out about how the wind was much too much and I should have told him so and not wasted his time, he gets in his fancy truck and takes off.

I go back to fishing

Last edited by Rip Tide; 07-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

When I am fishing I don't want to wear something that make looks like a sore thumb. I care more about the sun and bugs more than a fashion statement.

However; the fly fishing setup with bright colorful line will blow my cover away and people around here don't get exposed to fly fishing much. Probably, I was their magical encounter with that mystical fly fisherman. It gets pretty annoying most of the times (I am showing my ugly fly fisherman snob here).
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have observed, over the course of a few years practicing this thing, that it really doesn't matter much what people are wearing - it does matter what they are doing...

In 1978, I watched an older gentleman, wearing a wide brimmed straw hat, white shirt and lanyard around his neck, step into a run below me, on the East Walker River, casting a brace of wet flies. Within about 5 minutes, he was into a 6lb. Brook Trout. I didn't even know, at the time, that there were any Brook Trout in that river. When he finished releasing the fish, he turned to me and said, "Yeah... a hatchery truck broke down about 5 years ago and the driver had to dump his load of Brookies into the river." His name was Ned Grey...

Three years later, I was working a stretch of water, with a dry fly about 200 yds. upstream from where this event had occurred, in the early evening, when another older gentleman, wearing a big Stetson hat and an tan vest from the 60's came around the bend working a streamer. "Mind if I fish through", he asked? "No problem", I said. As I sat on the bank and watched him, he proceeded to whack and land an 8lb. Brown from the same water I had been pounding with a dry. He came over and thanked me for allowing him the courtesy and introduced himself. His name was Frank Arcularius...

Some people teach me what to do, others teach me what not to do ...my job is to watch and learn

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I have observed, over the course of a few years practicing this thing, that it really doesn't matter much what people are wearing - it does matter what they are doing...

In 1978, I watched an older gentleman, wearing a wide brimmed straw hat, white shirt and lanyard around his neck, step into a run below me, on the East Walker River, casting a brace of wet flies. Within about 5 minutes, he was into a 6lb. Brook Trout. I didn't even know, at the time, that there were any Brook Trout in that river. When he finished releasing the fish, he turned to me and said, "Yeah... a hatchery truck broke down about 5 years ago and the driver had to dump his load of Brookies into the river." His name was Ned Grey...

Three years later, I was working a stretch of water, with a dry fly about 200 yds. upstream from where this event had occurred, in the early evening, when another older gentleman, wearing a big Stetson hat and an tan vest from the 60's came around the bend working a streamer. "Mind if I fish through", he asked? "No problem", I said. As I sat on the bank and watched him, he proceeded to whack and land an 8lb. Brown from the same water I had been pounding with a dry. He came over and thanked me for allowing him the courtesy and introduced himself. His name was Frank Arcularius...

Some people teach me what to do, others teach me what not to do ...my job is to watch and learn

PT/TB
A good story. But who were those people?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
A good story. But who were those people?
Ned Grey...

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

Frank Arcularius...

Ray Bergman's "Trout"...ppgs. 242 -245

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/