The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM

crohnie31 is on a distinguished road
Default Kayak Fishing

My wife and I are looking into buying kayaks since we rent them so often and camp quite a bit. I just wanted to get some opinions on what we should look at getting. Also, how in the heck do you fly fish from one? I'm new to fly fishing and still getting my technique down, but I just don't see how that's doable from the sitting position...

What is the best cradle from transporting to the water? Are there kayaks that are better to fish from? Any input you guys have is appreciated...
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kayak Fishing

I think what you might be looking for is a sit on top kayake. They have litte bit wider midsection then lets say a river kayake, giving the paddler a little more room to move, it also doesn't require you to climb into it (hence the name). I have some friends that have rigged theirs with rod holders, fish finders, beer holders, etc.
as far as fishing from them, your not going to be able to cast as effectively as you would wading, casting will be with all upper body or arm, but you can paddle yourself into a better position, problem solved.
On a side note, consider getting a small anchor ( they make some that are 5lbs), they come in handy when your wanting to fish a spot for a little. It is quite difficult to row and cast at the same time !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'll answer this question for you more in depth, but let me ask you one question first.

What kind of water do you fish most often? Rivers or lakes?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 AM

danattherock is on a distinguished road

Been kayak fishing for 15 years. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Can't go wrong with a 12' Wilderness Systems Pungo. Their new Ride is a sweet boat as well.

Dan
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few years in the kayak myself
Try practice casting while sitting on the ground. It's not easy but also remember that fishing from a kayak is stealthy and you'll find that you won't need to cast all that far.
Someone suggested an anchor. I'd be very careful about that if you fish moving water. If your anchor is on a trolly so that it slides to come off the bow or stern that's fine, but an anchor over the side is a recipe for a roll-over.
I use my kayak to fish the salt 90% of the time and I never carry one
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 AM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

I almost exclusively fish from my kayak in rivers during the summer. Its a small learning curve with casting, but once you get the hang of it, its no big deal. I recently got a magazine from Barnes and Noble called "Kayak Angler", or something along those lines. It had a lot of good info.
I have a cheapo $150 10' sit in from Dick's Sporting goods. Nothing special at all. It has lots of things that I have rigged on it, and it has served me well for 3 years now.
I prefer a single sided paddle when Im fishing though, its easier to move out of the way when I want to fish.
I could go for hours on tips and tricks but, those are the big ones.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

Sorry for a pic heavy post but a picture is worth a thousand words.

I find that the higher your butt is in relation to your feet, the easier it is to flyfish no matter what make or model. Luckily over the past coouple of years, several makers have introduced yaks with higher seats.

Take a look at the Jackson Coosa, Cuda, and Big Tuna. There are others from other makers and maybe some more folks will chime on those. I have fly fished out of a Coosa several times and it is a piece of cake.

I prefer solo canoes because of the wide clear floor to strip line into. All boats have pros and cons and everyones tastes are different.

Here is an example of what I mean. In the last pic you can really see a difference side by side. Sitting higher also really helps see a good pool BEFORE you spook it. Helps when running MILD rapids too.

Good luck with your choice!

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney and dakotakid like this.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I love my inflatable kayak!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

It's nice to have a bit longer rod when you're sitting. I have an Anderson custom 6 weight @11 foot with the extendable butt that makes it an 11'3 4 weight spey. It's a very handy tool for floating. It decreases the effort to get the line out where you need it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

If you are a decent caster, a kayak is not problem. A novice caster usually uses too much wrist and thrusts the arm too far forward. This would be diffictult in a kayak and also a might unsteady. I am a decent caster so don't use much arm and can easily cast 50' in a sit-in kayak. In fact, by restricting excess movement, the kayak may even improve your casting.
If you learn to haul, then you will have no concerns re. distance at all.
As well, as the others have said, you can sneek up on fishy locations easily in a kayak, so casting distance is not a great challenge.
I fly fished from a canoe on lakes for over 20 years, but for the last 10 the canoe has been abandoned in favour of the kayak - and it is only a 10-footer.
mcnerney likes this.