The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yellowstone Grizzly Bear Attack

A grizzly bear killed one camper and mauled 2 others in Soda Butte Campground in the park.

One of the people mauled is Deb Freele who many of you may know as “Mato Kuwapi” from fly fishing forums. She is in a hospital in Wyoming recovering from broken bones and bites to her arm and leg.

Here’s a link to the story:
The Associated Press: Survivor of Mont. bear attack says she played dead

Here’s to wishing a speedy recovery for Deb and to the young man injured by the bear --- and deepest condolences to the family of the man that was killed.

mark
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Bear Attack

frightening!Thanks for sharing Mark.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, indeed that was a frightening incident! The morning news stated that the chances of being injured by a bear is 1 in 1.9 million. I just don't feel like I want to the the "1", that is why I either carry the 44 mag with custom bullets or pepper spray when in bear country. When I lived in Alaska I also had a dog, he was great at warning of danger. That dog was fearless and would take on anything that came too close. While in AK, I carried either a 375 HH Magnum or a 12 gauge defender style shotgun loaded with alternating rounds of double 00 buckshot and slugs. The only real incident I encountered in all the 16 years of fishing and hunting trips, was in the Brooks Range hunting Dall Sheep. The day before we had shot a Dall sheep and packed it back to camp. We had deboned the meat in the field and placed it in double wrapped plastic bags and then submerged it in some still water with rocks over the bags. There are no trees in the Brooks Range to hang meat. The issue was that we had the cape in camp fleshing it out when a big grizzly came walking up river right into our camp. After spotting the bear I fired a warning shot over it's head from my 7 mm Mag, but the bear didn't even react to the sound, he just keep coming right for camp. By this time my son and another hunter with us got to their rifles as the bear started circling camp. The backside of camp was heavy willow bushes. When the bear had circled to the edge of the willows he turned and headed right into camp, as it approached the campfire (we were on the opposite side) we all opened fire. Maybe the bear was bluffing but he was less than 15-20 ft when we opened up and none of us wanted to wait and see.
One of the guys that worked for me at Eielson AFB was homesteading some propery about 90 miles south of Fairbanks. He and his sons were building a log cabin out of logs they harvested off the property. In the spring the soil got real mushy and you couldn't drive all the way in to the house, he would park near the hwy and use snowmachines to get back and forth. One spring his neighbor was killed by a grizzly as he was hiking from the car to his house, bear attacks are infrequent, even in AK, but they do happen.
I remember another incident that was in the paper where a dog musher was attacked by a grizzly, he escaped the attack with the help of the dogs, but still lost a few of the dogs. The next day the authorities tracked the bear down and killed it.

Larry
Old 07-29-2010, 03:29 PM

driftless will become famous soon enoughdriftless will become famous soon enough

I prefer a large bore firearm in bear country. Though I understand it may not always be practical. Some people swear that pepper spray works, I just would rather not gamble my life on a windy day.
Tight lines,
Don

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
I prefer a large bore firearm in bear country. Though I understand it may not always be practical. Some people swear that pepper spray works, I just would rather not gamble my life on a windy day.
Tight lines,
Don

Click the image to open in full size.
Don: I totally agree, but like you said sometimes it just isn't practical. I remember seeing some study on pepper spray where it said that has been found to be 86% effective against bear attacks. Sounds good, but that means that 14% of the time if was effective!!!! The study didn't say why.

Larry
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

A tragedy for sure; reading the woman's account was something else. Imagine waking up to a bear chewing on your arm and having the will to "play dead".

My prayers for the fellow that was killed.

The one item that confuses me is the stance on the bear they've captured. They're testing the DNA and other forensic evidence to see if she is the guilty animal. They haven't determined what they will do to her if she is found to be the one. Seems rather evident to me, she should be killed; but they have to have a meeting with the interagency grizzly organization? My $0.02 worth; that is dumb!

Dan
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

What's going on?
When we were in that area at the end of June there was a gentlemen killed when he was in an area where some bears had recently been tranquilized.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Good one Driftless!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
What's going on?
When we were in that area at the end of June there was a gentlemen killed when he was in an area where some bears had recently been tranquilized.
I remember someone here quoted that there had only been 5 mortalities in the last 20 years as mentioned in Wikipedia. Seems like those numbers are subject to some scrutiny now. I heard that should DNA confirm the animal then it is to be put to sleep as well as it's cubs( they have already been trained to act accordingly). Whether that happens or not we will see. Someone also posted pics and video of bears habits of stomping on tents-see Slough Creek Solo trip.
It's a habit that happens more than we know.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
I remember someone here quoted that there had only been 5 mortalities in the last 20 years as mentioned in Wikipedia. Seems like those numbers are subject to some scrutiny now. I heard that should DNA confirm the animal then it is to be put to sleep as well as it's cubs( they have already been trained to act accordingly). Whether that happens or not we will see. Someone also posted pics and video of bears habits of stomping on tents-see Slough Creek Solo trip.
It's a habit that happens more than we know.
Here you go:

Grizzly kills botanist in attack near Yellowstone park

I heard the same about the cubs because of fear of a learned behavior. Sad for all IMO, bears and humans.
Thursday I was as close to a Black Bear as I'd ever been. It was right above the road on a cut. Must have been a juvenial. It stayed right there and looked down on us. I was about 40 feet. Guess what, I wasn't the closest person. There was a lady out of her car taking a picture between me and the bear. It could have fallen on her.