The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough
Default Lavro Drift Boats

Check this out and tell me what you think.
South Holston River Fly Shop

Thanks,
Rod Champion
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM

swimmy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lavro Drift Boats

What kind of water will you be rowing? Personally, I'm not a big fan of Lavro boats. They are bulky and i will take my 16' lp clack any day. 98% of the boats you see here are Clack, Hyde, or Ro.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM

i suck at fishing is on a distinguished road

Not sure, but for that price you could probably pick up a lightly used or new clackacraft 15lp which is what i have and it is a sweet rowing boat. Plus, with the lavro pictured, there doesn't seem to be alot of storage or rod holders and to me that is a huge disadvantage. If you want it though, get it, having any boat is better than not having a boat.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Business Member

But have you ever paddled a Lavro?
I love mine... I fish generating water from a dam. The flow is 2400cfs, and my little boat is effortless. It will cut across the river with several strokes .
Just curious if you have ever even paddled one?
Thanks,
Rod
Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Disclaimer.....I don't think the original poster is asking because he wants to buy one, he is trying to push a product that his fly shop sells and wants us to look at them.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I am very inexperienced at rowing drift boats, but a friend of mine has an older 14' Lavro and I've found it pretty nice to fish from and row (on easy rivers). The lack of rod holders is draw back though.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM

swimmy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
But have you ever paddled a Lavro?
I love mine... I fish generating water from a dam. The flow is 2400cfs, and my little boat is effortless. It will cut across the river with several strokes .
Just curious if you have ever even paddled one?
Thanks,
Rod
Just FYI, we paddle canoes. We row drift boats.

My buddy Doug guides out of a Lavro here in Bozeman because he got a super deal on it....$2500. I've rowed it and it is like a tank. And it is even worse when the wind picks up. It got him through a couple seasons but he is buying a 16' lp clack in the off season.

I will say they can take on some big water and really are bullet proof. But especially for a tailwater, there are better options.

But hey, different strokes/folks right? At least you are pleased and that is really what counts.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Rod,

If you think people get uppity about their preferences for brands of rods, reels, waders, etc. - just ask a fellow about his choice of boats.

Yes, I’d consider Lavro, if I were in the market for a new boat. We have some great, albeit dated memories in Lavro boats. Would love to take a new one out for the day.

Now if you asked my wife if she’d consider a Lavro, she’d probably give you a strange look and say something like, “ Is there any other kind? “ and yes, she knows the difference.
Like I said, we have some great memories of our times together and with friends in a Lavro.
Smart pricing on a boat for recreational users.

TT
Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Over the years I've rowed a lot of boats, from wood to Allie. The easiest to control (hands down) were all wood. In the other side = A 'low side' Clack. for us 'Old Farts' the easiest I've ever run into to get in/out.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Business Member

Sqimmy- I guess it is easier in the East.. we paddle drift boats...I have paddled, rowed , and pushed drift boats for a number of years
Sqimmy, I respect your opinion. I like Clackas and Hydes also..Boulder is making a reasonbly priced boat now..And they are nice.
Just trying to figure out what the average Joe can afford. And I am pretty darn average.
Treker , Fred and Dean , thank you for your comments. I really am trying to figure the affordability thing out.
Rod holders... I guess PVC is pretty easy to install..