The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

I've been deep into the backing often, but only twice was I ever surprised about it.
Once I hooked something that smoked line off the reel so fast that I was nearly spooled in seconds before the tippet popped. I never did figure out what that was all about.
The second time (and this is why you should have backing) I was fishing in a quite little stream here in CT when I foul-hooked a larger than normal trout in the tail end. Because of the way it was hooked, that fish was able to strip off a bunch of line. And while it didn't go all that far into the backing I would have had trouble if I didn't have any at all.
Hardyreels and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

They're hard to bring in backward aren't they Paul
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM

speycracker is on a distinguished road

has anyone used mono as backing? Is this a good idea or not?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speycracker View Post
has anyone used mono as backing? Is this a good idea or not?
For 'trout gear' why not? Just make sure the break strength is equal to/higher than that of the fly line. For larger fish, not a Good Plan A. The one thing you DON'T want to use is 'Gel-Spun,' stuff will cut like a razor blade!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The reasoning behind not using mono as backing is that mono stretches
Supposedly, if and when you have a great deal of mono backing out, it will reel in "stretched". Afterwards when it contracts back to normal it will crush the spool, or at least cut into the remaining backing underneath and tangle.
I've considered this often and it seems pretty far fetched to me.

Not that I'm going to be the one to try it and prove otherwise ....
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Actually RT that's not "An Old Wive's Tail." If you take a look at the typical 'level whined' reel spool they're damned heavy metal for just that reason. Also why most, save for heavy salt water's, have a very 'U' shaped spool.

Fred

Last edited by fredaevans; 07-22-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add a thought
Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Just sayin'

I haven't done this on everyone of my saltwater reels but it's a good idea to include 25' of 25# mono between the 30# dacron backing and the line.
The point of this is to have some stretch behind the line to help keep the tippet from popping from fly line drag.

Once all of your line is out, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on the tippet from the mass of the fly line being dragged through the water. On top of that, many people naturally tighten on the reel's drag when backing is melting off their reel. Wrong !
Having a stretchy mono section behind the line helps to protect the tippet when there's a full fat fly line being pulled sideways through the water.
Hardyreels and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Recently I switched to Sunset Amnesia for backing on small reels. It was around $5 for 200ft of line. The main reason I got it is because it looks cool. So far I have had no problems with it.

Click the image to open in full size.

-Chase
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Back in the early 90's I bought a 3000 yard spool of 45 pound test ice fishing line that was on sale because something weird was happening with the US Line Company. Relined my tip-ups. Re-backed all my reels. Re-backed some of my friends reels. Put backing on some of my friends new reels. Handed the spool off to friends a few times and got it back, and it is still more than 1/3 full. The stuff is 20 something years old and still no issues. I check it every year I have fished. If I cant break it between my hands, the tippet will pop before the backing gives out.

Point of reference.... I am not shown my backing often so it is mostly spool filler for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

When we last discussed this someone on this forum mentioned they use "Green Spot" 30lb line. I didn't know what it was but found it online somewhere and got a 500yd spool quite cheap. It's white with green flecks; maybe trolling line? dunno but I like it anyway.