The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Just sayin'

I haven't done this on everyone of my saltwater reels but it's a good idea to include 25' of 25# mono between the 30# dacron backing and the line.
The point of this is to have some stretch behind the line to help keep the tippet from popping from fly line drag.

Once all of your line is out, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on the tippet from the mass of the fly line being dragged through the water. On top of that, many people naturally tighten on the reel's drag when backing is melting off their reel. Wrong !
Having a stretchy mono section behind the line helps to protect the tippet when there's a full fat fly line being pulled sideways through the water.
Now That Is Noteworthy!

You are the first person to mention this in any thing or place I have read about fishing Paul. Because I have had so many instances where either an entire 90' fly line or a 130' Spey line is being torn from the reel and pulled underwater, I've taken stock of this situation on many occasions.

When faced with this scenario I do whatever it takes to get that line up and to put as much back on the reel as quickly as possible.

Real good food for thought as are many of your posts here.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

any one ever used SPECTRA DYNEEMA?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

What you guys mention the use of "trolling line" are you referring to lead core that some people use on fly reels to add weight to balance the rod?

Thanks --
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
What you guys mention the use of "trolling line" are you referring to lead core that some people use on fly reels to add weight to balance the rod?

Thanks --
No, this stuff

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Now That Is Noteworthy!

You are the first person to mention this in any thing or place I have read about fishing Paul. Because I have had so many instances where either an entire 90' fly line or a 130' Spey line is being torn from the reel and pulled underwater, I've taken stock of this situation on many occasions.

When faced with this scenario I do whatever it takes to get that line up and to put as much back on the reel as quickly as possible.

Real good food for thought as are many of your posts here.
All these little "tips" that you accumulate over the years.
It never occurs to you that they're not common knowledge
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I don't use mono on my fly reels for 2 reasons. First, mono deteriorates at least to the point where it becomes weaker over time. When I lived in Florida, we replaced the line on our spinning and trolling reels every year. I'm told that sunlight was the greatest enemy of mono, and it may not be as big of an issue when buried beneath flyline. Still, I'd rather not risk it.
Second, mono takes a "set" over time, and can become very curly. Anyone who has ever had to straighten a leader has seen this. Picture having to straighten 50 yards of mono backing.
Flyline is expensive, and does not get changed very often. While you see what the flyline looks like, and it's condition, you don't see the backing. Most of us don't get into the backing very often if ever and are unaware of it's condition. It is there for a reason, and had better be reliable when called upon. Stay with a product that you can rely on. It is worth the extra few bucks.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

A large spool of backing seems cheap compared to fly line, why not use it?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Spend plenty o' money at your local fly shop and in return they put backing on my reels like I'm a charity case. Probably not cheaper in the big picture thought.

I can't help but think about how much gas gets burned going fishing and the dollars associated, and then think about how horrible it would be to lose that lifetime fish, the one that finally took you down to your backing because you decided it was the link you would budget on. It would take a long time to forgive myself.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM

speycracker is on a distinguished road

Lots of good information here. If you wind on your own backing, assuming 30lb. dacron, how much tension should you use? I once had a reel where the backing got buried into itself and would not come off. I may have loaded it on myself and probably didn't keep enough tension on it as I was winding.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by speycracker View Post
Lots of good information here. If you wind on your own backing, assuming 30lb. dacron, how much tension should you use? I once had a reel where the backing got buried into itself and would not come off. I may have loaded it on myself and probably didn't keep enough tension on it as I was winding.
30 lb is a good idea for that reason; it is less likely to get caught under itself because of it's larger diameter. I like to put lots of tension on it; enough so it doesn't feel spongy when you put pressure on it with your finger.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
When we last discussed this someone on this forum mentioned they use "Green Spot" 30lb line. I didn't know what it was but found it online somewhere and got a 500yd spool quite cheap. It's white with green flecks; maybe trolling line? dunno but I like it anyway.
Yes, that's what I have. Not sure but I believe several companies make it. The spool I bought was from Cortland.

I've seen it with black spots too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!