The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Cheap backing or substitute (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/325546-cheap-backing-substitute.html)

flymoron 07-19-2013 09:36 AM

Cheap backing or substitute

What does everyone use? All that backing starts to add up.

thanks!

Rip Tide 07-19-2013 09:42 AM

Re: Cheap backing or substitute

Depends on what you're fishing for
On a reel where the backing will never see the light of day, it really doesn't matter much
Many of my reels like that have 40# dacron tip-up (ice fishing) line
It takes up plenty of space and doesn't rot.
There's other dracron lines too.
Back in the day, everyone used trolling line

aggieoutlaw 07-19-2013 09:44 AM

I skip backing an most of my reels. I put pipe insulation around the reel arbor and use a 6" piece of backing to cinch it down and connect to the fly line. This adds dimension to the arbor without the weight or cost or hassle of putting Dacron on every reel.

Cheers!

two_nymph_rig 07-19-2013 09:56 AM

Like Rip Tide, I also use Dacron tip up line. Never been close to being in my backing, so I only put a little bit on, just incase.

ditz 07-19-2013 10:19 AM

On a couple of my gill reels I have cut strips of craft foam the width of the reel spool and wrapped it around the arbor to increase the arbor diameter. I then tied it up with a short section of Dacron and then attached the fly line to the backing.

Hardyreels 07-19-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 573902)
Depends on what you're fishing for

That pretty much sums it up. If you want to stick with a genuine backing product you may consider doing what I did years ago, bite the bullet and buy a bulk spool. I believe mine originally had 1200 yards each. For trout reels I got Cortland 12 pound and for salmon, their 36 pound saltwater Micron product.

Shop smart and once you have the big daddy spools it's over.

Or do as the other fellows suggest and use substitutes. Like Rip Tide said, it depends on what you're fishing for.......

Ard

fredaevans 07-19-2013 11:55 AM

For river fishing here in the PNW how much 'backing' do you need is a constant debate. 100 yards behind your fly line? 250 yards, pick a number.

In all the years I've been fishing I can only think of two times where I wished I'd had a lot more. Both fish damned near spooled me before I made the choice to break them off. Every thrust of the tail took another 10 foot off the reel.

My guess is both were very good sized King Salmon. Add the river current to that and ....... Woozer!

fae

aggieoutlaw 07-19-2013 11:58 AM

If I ever hooked a fish like that, I'd be happy to buy another line! A monster to me is an 8" brookies that stays in the water on the hook set!

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to give advice about backing! Haha!

Kerry Pitt 07-19-2013 11:58 AM

I agree with Fred and Ard. I mean the fly line itself is expensive and for a few bucks spool on 25 yds. Go with large arbor reels where you can as well. All in all, the right stuff will help get the right results when the unexpected hits the fan.

bigjim5589 07-19-2013 02:22 PM

What I've done is about the same as what Rip has said. I have "backing" on some reels, either Scientific Anglers Dacron or Cortland Micron. I also bought a large 1500 yard spool of regular 30 lb Cortland Dacron line, like is used for trolling, online, direct from Cortland via their website. It was on sale too! Initially I bought it for some trolling reels, and it works fine for that purpose, but could not see any reason not to use it on my fly reels, instead of buying additional "backing".

It's slightly larger in diameter I believe compared to the Cortland Micron, but for the fishing I do most it has made no difference as far as how much is actually on the reels. I'm primarily using it to keep from losing a fly line, should I happen to hook something that could spool the line. Bass, Striped Bass & Bluefish aren't known for doing that!

This line was purchased several years ago, and comparing prices, the regular Dacron is a little cheaper than Micron. Since I had bought a bulk spool, it was considerably cheaper in price. :thumbsup: