The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap backing or substitute

What does everyone use? All that backing starts to add up.

thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

Depends on what you're fishing for
On a reel where the backing will never see the light of day, it really doesn't matter much
Many of my reels like that have 40# dacron tip-up (ice fishing) line
It takes up plenty of space and doesn't rot.
There's other dracron lines too.
Back in the day, everyone used trolling line
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I skip backing an most of my reels. I put pipe insulation around the reel arbor and use a 6" piece of backing to cinch it down and connect to the fly line. This adds dimension to the arbor without the weight or cost or hassle of putting Dacron on every reel.

Cheers!
siege likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Like Rip Tide, I also use Dacron tip up line. Never been close to being in my backing, so I only put a little bit on, just incase.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

On a couple of my gill reels I have cut strips of craft foam the width of the reel spool and wrapped it around the arbor to increase the arbor diameter. I then tied it up with a short section of Dacron and then attached the fly line to the backing.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Depends on what you're fishing for
That pretty much sums it up. If you want to stick with a genuine backing product you may consider doing what I did years ago, bite the bullet and buy a bulk spool. I believe mine originally had 1200 yards each. For trout reels I got Cortland 12 pound and for salmon, their 36 pound saltwater Micron product.

Shop smart and once you have the big daddy spools it's over.

Or do as the other fellows suggest and use substitutes. Like Rip Tide said, it depends on what you're fishing for.......

Ard
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For river fishing here in the PNW how much 'backing' do you need is a constant debate. 100 yards behind your fly line? 250 yards, pick a number.

In all the years I've been fishing I can only think of two times where I wished I'd had a lot more. Both fish damned near spooled me before I made the choice to break them off. Every thrust of the tail took another 10 foot off the reel.

My guess is both were very good sized King Salmon. Add the river current to that and ....... Woozer!

fae
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

If I ever hooked a fish like that, I'd be happy to buy another line! A monster to me is an 8" brookies that stays in the water on the hook set!

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to give advice about backing! Haha!
turbineblade likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I agree with Fred and Ard. I mean the fly line itself is expensive and for a few bucks spool on 25 yds. Go with large arbor reels where you can as well. All in all, the right stuff will help get the right results when the unexpected hits the fan.
Hardyreels likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:22 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

What I've done is about the same as what Rip has said. I have "backing" on some reels, either Scientific Anglers Dacron or Cortland Micron. I also bought a large 1500 yard spool of regular 30 lb Cortland Dacron line, like is used for trolling, online, direct from Cortland via their website. It was on sale too! Initially I bought it for some trolling reels, and it works fine for that purpose, but could not see any reason not to use it on my fly reels, instead of buying additional "backing".

It's slightly larger in diameter I believe compared to the Cortland Micron, but for the fishing I do most it has made no difference as far as how much is actually on the reels. I'm primarily using it to keep from losing a fly line, should I happen to hook something that could spool the line. Bass, Striped Bass & Bluefish aren't known for doing that!

This line was purchased several years ago, and comparing prices, the regular Dacron is a little cheaper than Micron. Since I had bought a bulk spool, it was considerably cheaper in price.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!