The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 10:55 AM

morrisdancer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ever had a really bad idea? Like grow a beard?

I can't remember the time when I didn't have a beard--infact I think I was born with one.
Anyway - a lot of my countrymen have them--- they hide our scars from years and years of fighting the English.
I'm glad I've got one--- because --- as I'm over in South Canada-- it's the only part of my body that hasn't been eaten by the bloody mozzies.
Ain't long now and my holiday is finished and back to Bonnie Scotland I will go.
To be eaten by our notorious midges------Peter
von behr likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Ever had a really bad idea? Like grow a beard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisdancer View Post
I can't remember the time when I didn't have a beard--infact I think I was born with one.
Anyway - a lot of my countrymen have them--- they hide our scars from years and years of fighting the English.
I'm glad I've got one--- because --- as I'm over in South Canada-- it's the only part of my body that hasn't been eaten by the bloody mozzies.
Ain't long now and my holiday is finished and back to Bonnie Scotland I will go.
To be eaten by our notorious midges------Peter
Second time today I've laughed, and it's been a long time since I've had a reason to laugh at anything.

Bless You!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

April 15th, I'm clean shaven.

October 15th, grow it out.

Keep it trimmed to 1/4".

CAB
Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Haven't taken a razor to my face in many years...

Its barbaric if you think about it, and it messes up one's skin.
We were not born to be shorn like sheep or poodles!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 AM

rosborn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Haven't taken a razor to my face in many years...

Its barbaric if you think about it, and it messes up one's skin.
We were not born to be shorn like sheep or poodles!
Had a biology professor say almost the very same thing in college. He said we were meant to have hair on our faces and if that weren't the case our faces would have been hairless.

I have a goatee now because the rest of my beard is white. My oldest daughter dang near killed me and nearly caused my wife and me to get a divorce. The white cheek hairs are the result and reminder of those tumultuous years.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Never had a beard, pretty sure it would look like (forum rules forbid that kind of wording).

confused on how a beard provides "an inner rich life" tho.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I went through a couple of years without one, as my employer didn't allow it, but they lost a law suit several years back & have changed the policy.

Otherwise I've had some form of beard since my early 20's.

I usually let it grow out some in the colder months & trim it back as the weather warms.

My current look!
Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I grew a mustache in 1968 when I got my draft notice. The rumor then was if you had a mustache when they took your military id photo, you could keep it, but if there was not one on the photo, you weren't allowed to grow one. It's been with me ever since.
I usually grow a full beard in the fall to go with the 'stache. Hey, it gets cold in Idaho ! By spring, it gets trimmed down to a goatee, and that goes away as the weather gets warm. But the mustache stays.
I can't do much about changing my hair style. I wear it with a "wide part" in the middle. I'm not exactly bald, It's what I like to call being "folicaly impaird". So, like a lot of guys, I can change sideburn and beard styles. I don't tell my wife how to wear her hair, so she won't say much about my facial hair choices. But.......sometimes it's obvious that she's not too thrilled being out with a guy with facial hair that is reminiscent of a civil war officer.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

In 1960 I already had a 'Miltary Hair Cut,' like really short; nothing has changed in the intervening years.

'Induction' and most of the other fellows had (note the time frame) more hair than a Lion and went away bald. Me? Guy leans over and asked if 'This is your regular cut?' 'Yes Sir.'

Gave me a light trim above the ears with a straight razor; I was the only one who walked away with a head that didn't look like a 'cue-ball.'

Couple of weeks later get a call to report to the Chief Bosn's Mate on the base; would like to talk to me. (Okie-Dokie). Tosses a file in front of me and just looks at me.

'You have a very interesting Resume' Mr. Evans, where did you learn all this stuff?'

(Context: At age 18.1 I had a current United States Coast Guard Marine Pilots Licence for ships up to 350 tonne from Puget Sound to North Alaska. Sat for the test on my 18th Birthday.)

Other than PT I got very light handling. End game, when it came to stepping on board a ship I 'out-ranked' most. (More context: You do not give the ship Captain orders, just suggestions, save for the shxt's about to hit the fan.)

For Jollies they'd call me out in class: 'Mr. Evans, what are the proper light displays for a Tug boat with a tow?'

'Sir, is the 'tow' in front, along side or behind, all are different.' (They are.) 'Come to the 'black board' and show us.'

Ended up teaching more than a few classes. Most fun was having my Mother package up my Sextant (Brit-WW2 Issue) and sending down to the Base. (Still have it, but haven't used same for years.) Teaching a class in Celestial Navigation (honestly just fun and games stuff) and Guys loved doing Sun/Moon/Star shots and then off to the Bowdich Tables for 'where are we' based on a good clock time. Which reminds me, I haven't reset my 20+ year old watch in a the past two weeks.

Into the place as a 'Shave Tail' walked out as a low ranked Bosn' Mate. No idea you could get 'promoted' that fast.

fae

fae
bigjim5589 and siege like this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 07-21-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

"There are two types of people that go around beardless; boys and women, and I am neither. "