The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Guess Who Has an Underwater Camera!

After the unfortunate dunking of my cheap / used Canon camera I had to do it. I bought a Panasonic LUMIX waterproof - shock & dust resistant camera. It doesn't make handling a 13' rod - a slippery fish and the camera any easier but it is good when wet

I also got hold of a Nomad (Guide model) net with a 47" handle and a fair size net hoop that is helping a lot with trout and grayling. Still the largest fish of my last day up at the cabin came off the barb less hook and swam from the net while I was fiddling with the camera There obviously will not be good fish pictures until I have help.

Anyway here are a couple shots from out there;

I decided to do things the old fashioned way by tying on a Jock O' Dee in size 4.
Click the image to open in full size.

The very first cast was answered by a trout and the day was kept pretty busy by fish grabbing the fly.

The thing I already like best about this little camera is that there will be no need for holding fish out of water to record them any longer. Very cool

I'm well aware that the fish all look similar and I only photographed a few.

Even though I swung the Jock O' Dee and a Green Butt all day I continued to have unwanted contact with King Salmon. I caught 7 of these and although they were real rod benders I don't care for them once they have lost their silver shine. If you get a kick out of hauling in 20 pound fish that will threaten to get into the backing even though your fly line is 120' feet long, then these will provide some excitement.

This was a nice one taken in swift water, it was a rod bender.

Here's a look at my new hangout, it's a Spey caster / fisherman's paradise with wide swift runs full of trout & salmon along with grayling. There's only one problem, access! it is the worst boat ride I've ever taken to get there and back any where in Alaska. I've been out 4 times now and still don't like it. The access and the fact that the river is essentially non-navigable due to log jams and braiding near the mouth make it a hike in river. I have yet to see any other fishermen.

Last but not least.......... yesterday on my home river while trout chasing.

When I looked at that I realized that I'm getting old. The sun was good and I managed a few trout to go with a streamside cheese burger and some pasta salad & a beer Honestly, 12 hours on the river is starting to take its toll on me these days......................... But I'm headed off to hike into some trout tomorrow morning in spite of all that
imxer, Rip Tide, von behr and 13 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guess Who Has an Underwater Camera!

Great pictures Ard. Thanks for posting them. I would think those salmon would provide some excitement. Looks like an amazing stretch of river.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, when you are looking for the 'fabled' big rainbow, they can be a pest. When you feel the 'thud' on your fly followed by the weight on the rod your heart & mind skip a beat. There are some really large trout here but there are not thousands of them. Every few years I'm treated to a glimpse of one that boggles the mind and it is that which keeps me fueled for the pursuit.

Within seconds you will realize that it must be a salmon on the line and you begin to take stock of the surroundings so that it will not make a lunge down river through the tail of the run. Such a dash for freedom makes for a real chase and you get good at keeping them calm and hauling them in quickly as possible. In order to reach the place where I caught these salmon they have traveled about 135 river miles and survived commercial fishing nets - Beluga Whales - seals and an armada of recreational fishing boats to name a few obstacles. Their survival at this point of life is critical to the future of the run. Fish like the one pictured are not spawning, they are finishing the maturation process that will put them to the spawning grounds. When at this stage they are hanging out in the runs & pools waiting for that invisible mechanism to sound the call to move on up the river to that one special gravel bar. At this point they are very aggressive and grab the fly with little hesitation.
Somewhere here, near or far from me now is the biggest trout I've ever touched. While I won't turn my nose at some sockeye or silvers over the next few weeks it is that trout which now takes center stage. Since I've been here I haven't a clue how many salmon I've caught but it's more than I had ever imagined as a younger man. They become a fixture in the fishing but that big rainbow........... Well, that's a story yet to be told.

It's as old as the joke about fishermen, many people tell me of 27 - 33" trout as flippantly as if we were talking about a 14" trout. I know all too well how the 18" fish becomes the 22" fish and so on. I'll know the feel when I drag one in that reaches for the proportions that I have heard tossed around. I've caught plenty of 28 - 40" salmon and know very well what they look like and I am fishing hard for that trout.

I promise a good picture when it happens
imxer, fysh, von behr and 1 others like this.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:42 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I also have a Panasonic Lumix, they are wonderful little cameras. Those shots just prove it. one word to remember, after you put it down for a dunk, make sure to dry or clean the lens cover off before taking an above water photo, you don't want water spots on it
fredaevans likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-19-2013, 05:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

congrats on the new camera ard!
those are some great pics, cant wait too
see what great pics you post in the near
future

casey
Hardyreels and baseman1 like this.

ARFE
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I'll do the best I can to make you feel at home Casey.
caseywise likes this.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

thanks ard!
thats some summer you guys are having up there
first summer since 2008 we are not making the trip up

casey

ARFE
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on the new camera! Looks like it's working great, especially in that 2nd picture - a classic!
You need to figure out how to strap it onto your shin, then just reach down & push the shutter button

BTW, we're all getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Administrator

I feel for you, you've been here for some bad weather. Today is another perfect day, yesterday was a good one as have been the past 6 weeks........................

How's the season going for your brother?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM

he's been working allot lately, but he had a killer spring steelhead fishing.
he got a spey rod this past winter and loves it.
kings, as you know, were absolutely horrible. lowest weir count on the
anchor since they put it in the sonar counter(2003, i think).
he's getting of the boat monday so he'll be hittin the lower anchor for
dollies, humpys and bows. thats pretty much always good.

casey

ARFE