The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly shops (was ***** Creek fly Gear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
so now what does the "p" in pm stand for?

You owe me an apology.

"I got the following pm, this is just a tidbit, I wont say who sent it because it doesnt matter"

I *KEPT* his privacy. HE is the one that gave up his privacy. Private messages are NOT private. Expect anything you say in a PM to be read by your mother (or forwarded to a admin) and write them accordingly!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
As another young member of this forum i have to agree. I tried to buy from a "local" fly shop. I went around shopping at the 3 i usually frequent before i was pretty much forced(if i wanted to stay in my budget) to buy my latest rod/reel combo from sportsmans warehouse.

Its not like i was cheap either(by my standards), i just wanted to keep my rod/reel/line under 300 dollars, and no fly shop that i frequent could accomodate me. Its not my fault that none of them carry echo, TFO, or another quality low price manufacturer.

Of course i try to support my local flyshops whenever possible, but its limited to buying fly's and other smaller dollar items.
MTskibum, we are lucky enough to come from an area that has a plethera of fly shops. I agree that you should support your local fly shops, but like everyone else, I am on a budget. I also bought my last rod at Sportsman Warehouse, but only because it was $250 cheaper than the local fly shops (and most other big name stores). I did however drop $300 on a reel at my local fly shop. I could have easily bought it cheaper on the internet, but the extra money was worth the advice and expert opinion I got with the purchase.

With that being said, if you can't afford the Simms waders and the Sage fly rods, I suggest swinging in and talking with the staff and buying a handfull of flies. You may be out a few more bucks, but you also can gain a wealth of information and knowledge that the Sportsman Warehouses of the world cannot offer.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsalt View Post
You owe me an apology.

"I got the following pm, this is just a tidbit, I wont say who sent it because it doesnt matter"

I *KEPT* his privacy. HE is the one that gave up his privacy. Private messages are NOT private. Expect anything you say in a PM to be read by your mother (or forwarded to a admin) and write them accordingly!
Oh good lord, time to drop it before it gets ugly!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

cliff you are right. the P in PM's are suppose to mean private. you can give the great "double hauler" a apology if ya want but I ain't. I don't really care if it was meant to be private or not really as I was just writing him to tell him my opinion of the combo. I am not even mad about him writing a tell all on me. just kinda think its funny.. like I said before its not like I was hiding something or anything. just stating my opinion.. it was just my attempt to try to help this guy save some money. amazing tho. I never seen anyone get this upset that they could of saved a few buxs on a piece of fly gear. guess to each his own. I will not let this get ugly either because this is the best fly fishing forum I've been on and everyone here gets along good. I am on other forums too and have to listen to enough BS on them. theres no need to blow everything outta proportion. good luck on your choices of gear and hope ya catch fish on whatever you choose.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I trust that we can end this thread soon...

Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just to close out and clarify, when I post a simple smart-arse comment like that, its just intended to add levity. Most of us seem to think that was a needed ingredient in this thread.

And I'll generally apologize for being the most incorrigible smart-arse out of the forum mods.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Just to close out and clarify, when I post a simple smart-arse comment like that, its just intended to add levity. Most of us seem to think that was a needed ingredient in this thread.

And I'll generally apologize for being the most incorrigible smart-arse out of the forum mods.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

Hey Idea Why dont we get a good spin on this thread,
I am sure alot of us like to go to other places to fish so Why dont we tell our neighborhood Flyshops and if they are worth visiting.

Mine is THE UGLY BUG in Casper Wy, They are great bunch in there. If you need to know where and whats biting stop in and see them. They offer tying classes some with some very famous people in tying. Great line of products and good prices. Also Sportsmans warehouse is here on 2nd st. They have everything for fishing you could need. For a big retail store they actually have knowlegable employees there that really can offer decent help.
DO NOT go to Rocky mtn discount on CY. They are awsome for Bow hunting but they eliminated their flyfishing products to almost nothing,
BUT in a pinch there is always wally world, There is our best and worse here in Casper Wy. If your coming to town stop in,
Old 02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Larry I think that's a great idea, and I'm gonna start a fresh thread on the topic. feel free to copy and paste whatever from your last post into it

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

here is my two cents on this subject..

when I can I go to my local fly shop because I know I will get all my questions answered face to face... I also get good advice from them on local waters, what to buy and not buy etc... I also use this shop as a means of comparison shopping.. I will go check out what they have in stock at what price and then compare that to prices elsewhere.. but.. and here is a key.. when ordering on line you have to take into account the cost of shipping and handling.. there are times the price is lower on line but by the time you add the extra costs it is close too if not more expensive than the local guy.. in that case I will go to the fly shop since I get what I want right away..

...there are times however when I can get a good deal on line.. and if that is the case and I dont need it right away I will order on line..

MacFly