The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough
Default fly shops (was ***** Creek fly Gear)

I got the following pm, this is just a tidbit, I wont say who sent it because it doesnt matter:

"about other fly shops. who cares about um. do they care about you?"

To the kind lady/gentleman who sent me that, this is nothing personal against you. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE. FLy shops are the life blood of fly fishing. My local fly shop has given free fly casting clinics that have made it so that instead of casting 40 feet, I can cast smoothly without a haul 60 feet, and with a double haul 80 feet. They have given me valuable information about insect stages and kinds of insects, what is hatching on local streams, whether the local streams are fishing good or poor.

Without fly shops you will go to a big box store and ask them how to put on a fly line and the minimum wage teenager will not have a clue, and might even put the weight forward part attached to the backing so you are trying to cast the running line!! Do you know how many stores I have heard of people with $600 rods who have sold them for peanuts because the line was put on backwards?

By no means am I saying not to buy from a ebay store, but for Gods sake, NO, For the sake of the fly fishing industry, make sure to support your local fly shop!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly shops (was ***** Creek fly Gear)

Unfortunately the "local fly shop" is getting thinner and thinner in this day and age.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

you don't got to point out who said it. I am not shy. I wrote that to you in a pm. only thing is you left out the point I was getting at. why not post the whole thing instead of tidbits? here is what I really wrote. and what I was trying to say was why pay more if ya don't got to. heres my pm to socal.

"hey I was just trying to help ya out on the deal. I am new to fly fishing for about a year and can't tell ya how certain rods cast yet. I just kno a deal when I see one. I wasn't trying to hate on other fly shops. the full creel and the owner fishbones runs this forum (who I got it from). I was trying to help you out instead of you paying $60 dollars extra for just a rod when ya can get it all for less money. also I was trying to help full creel out for pointing you to them. about other fly shops. who cares about um. do they care about you? If they aren't cheap then they aren't out for the working man anyways. I am not shy to say I am cheap. I got a $20 5/6 combo from martin and can cast that a good 40 feet easy if not farther (just a estimate). this combo has got to be better than that."

this is the whole pm I sent to him. anyone can be mad if they want and have there own opinions. I am just saying why pay more for the same item. just cause the only local shop in town sells sage rods for say 300 dollar why pay that if ya can get the same exact thing for $200 somewhere else. basically thats the point I was getting at. sorry maybe some don't understand that when they read it but around here we aren't exactly rolling in the dough. I fly fish with what my budget can get me. thanks socal for blabbering to all but you don't got to put me out on a thread when I will tell this same thing to anyone on this forum.. thats my opinion and I am sticking to it. I learned my lesson tho. next time I will just let ya pay more for the same item. about local fly shops I live where there aren't any trout streams. there is maybe one fly shop around but I will buy from anywhere that has something with my price range on it. if not I go somewhere else. also the full creel isn't just a ebay store. its got its own website also. oh and you got to put your own line on if ya get a ***** creek. so only you will be the one putting it on backwards.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I agree with socalsalt 100%... in that If you have a local fly shop, then by all means, support them. If they're good to you then you should really be good to them. The local fly shops offer more than any internet shop can. You can stop in for that last minute item. You can test cast the rods and feel the gear. You can try on the boots and waders to make sure they fit. Hopefully the shop owner/manager is able to give you sound advice and good recommendations. A good fly shop often serves as a gathering point for anglers to come in and shoot the breeze.

When they're gone... you will miss them.

Fishstick is right... local fly shops are getting thinner and thinner. Fly gear sales nationwide are down. The 1980's and 90's saw the rapid rise of the popularity of fly fishing. Many folks attribute this to "A River Runs Through It". Now, as the new has worn off, we are experiencing a downturn.

Yes... the internet, Walmart, Cabela's, BassPro, etc. have all made it hard on the independent fly shop owners. Many fly shops have closed the doors... I'm afraid that many more will soon follow. Two shops closed in my town.

As many of you know... I am a fly shop owner. I presently have a brick and mortar store along with four internet fly shops... including the eBay Fly Shop. The internet shops are what keeps my doors open. My internet sales exceed my walk in sales by a tremendous amount.

Its getting to where many b & m fly shops in competitive or non destination areas must have an internet shop in order to supplement their walk-in sales.

The internet fly shops are able to reach the folks who have no shop in their area... that's a good thing. McFly is right in that sometimes the savings are significant online... and the deals are hard to pass up... and that's OK. But it really doesn't make sense to order everything from the internet when you can get it down the street from your local guy. He needs your business and you need him to be there when you need him.

I'm not saying any of this new age business stuff is good or bad... that's just the way it is. And in order to stay afloat we must play the new game.

So yes... I strongly encourage you all to support your local shops.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I agree to support you local shop also. but not if there aren't any around to support. then all ya got it the big name places like gander mountain like around here. half the time they don't have half the stuff ya can get other places online. I guess I am not gifted enough to have fly shops around like they do out west. I never even knew about fly fishing until last year thats how small the fly fishing world is around here. that being said, money is tight is our town also. the town is goin down. noone has money for anything hardly. the family owned business is about had it. so it means that sometimes ya got to go cheap and get more for you money. thats what I am about. if I can get a rod/reel combo plus flys and a vest or net and some leaders or fly materials for the same price as just a rod I am gonna do that instead.. if I was rich I would have the best gear you could have but I can't cause I am not. to me fly fishing isn't about arguing or having the most expensive gear. its about a good time. if ya can have a good time paying $1000 or $20 then thats all that matters. just being out there catchin fish! even if its with a stick and some string. its all about fun.. I was trying to make a point that I thought the ***** creek seemed like a good deal.. again this is from my shoes. others can do what they want and do what there heart and budget desires..

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I sent to him. anyone can be mad if they want and have there own opinions. I am just saying why pay more for the same item. just cause the only local shop in town sells sage rods for say 300 dollar why pay that if ya can get the same exact thing for $200 somewhere else. basically thats the point I was getting at. sorry maybe some don't understand that when they read it but around here we aren't exactly rolling in the dough. I fly fish with what my budget can get me. .
As another young member of this forum i have to agree. I tried to buy from a "local" fly shop. I went around shopping at the 3 i usually frequent before i was pretty much forced(if i wanted to stay in my budget) to buy my latest rod/reel combo from sportsmans warehouse.

Its not like i was cheap either(by my standards), i just wanted to keep my rod/reel/line under 300 dollars, and no fly shop that i frequent could accomodate me. Its not my fault that none of them carry echo, TFO, or another quality low price manufacturer.

Of course i try to support my local flyshops whenever possible, but its limited to buying fly's and other smaller dollar items.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

There are no winners or losers in this debate. How you feel does have a lot to do with what you have available. How comfortable you feel with your local shops if you even have any at all. Everyone's unique situation influences how they feel about this topic.

I see your point and I agree that if your local shops don't offer a variety of price ranges, and the prices they do have don't fit your budget, then yes you should go somewhere else.

Each fly shop has their own particular business plan and merchandising philosophy... and some of their ideas have gotten them in trouble over the years.

Some shops play to the high end customer and only offer high dollar merchandise. They think that if they don't offer the inexpensive stuff then you can't buy it.... or they're banking on the high end customer base to pay their bills. Now, I'm not saying this is bad. This type of model has worked well for many shops over the years. However, now with the internet, the customer now has the access to shop around with different price ranges in mind.

I believe in displaying a wide range of gear and price ranges. My shop has Sage, Winston and G.Loomis... but it also has TFO, Echo, ***** Creek and St Croix... I even have a few Martin rods hid in the back. There is something for everyone... regardless of their taste and budget. Its then up to the salesmen to educate the customer on the difference between a $150 fly rod and a $750 rod... then let the customer make their choice.

I don't see where anyone is making any poor choices in this thread. So, stick to your beliefs and don' let anyone tell you you're wrong.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=GeorgeMcFly;20325]you don't got to point out who said it. I am not shy. I wrote that to you in a pm. only thing is you left out the point I was getting at. why not post the whole thing instead of tidbits? here is what I really wrote. and what I was trying to say was why pay more if ya don't got to. QUOTE]

Simple: To support my local fly shop. They help me out tremendously. I now see that you are unfortunate enough not to have a local fly shop, which is really sad, especially a really good fly shop. A fly shop that would teach you about entomology (sp?), knots, proper casting stroke, the double haul. And do it in free clinics. I am poor like you. A year ago I could only cast 40 feet. Now I can cast 60 feet with a 5 weight and cast 80 feet with a double haul, thanks to my local fly shop.

You dont have a local fly shop so you probably do not realize this goes on. People try out equipment, find the rod the like best, using up the fly shop employee's time who is paid by the hour, then turn around and by the rod online cheaper. Or try on waders or wading shoes to see what fits then buy them on ebay.

"why pay more if ya don't got to"?
Well, I now understand you do not realize all that you get from a fly shop, but if you did you would realize all that people would lose. I am sad that you do not have a local fly shop to go to that could help you with your cast, tell you that a 3 weight is not the proper rod for a (smallmouth?) bass. Show you how to tie knots. Help you with your cast so you could easily cast 40 feet without a double haul.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

so now what does the "p" in pm stand for?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

OHHH OHHH,, I KNOW;ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PRIVATE