The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By swimmy
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By littledavid123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 11:59 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trifecta

Today, after much driving, hiking and exploring I discovered a mountain stream that was almost perfect. Cobblestone and gravel bottom with twists and bends hiding 3 to 4 feet deep small pools. Thought it would be too early for a hopper but decided to use as a indicator to a Copper John, it didn't take but a few casts and the Copper John was being clipped off. There is very little dry fly fishing in the Lil Red where I fish in Arkansas but today made up for that. This was something else altogether, the fish were in aerial combat strike mode, often leaping completely out of the water when taking the fly.

West-slope cutthroats, brookies and unexpectedly a small bull trout (didn't think they would be up there this time of the year) rounded out the day. And the reason the day was only "almost perfect", I was fishing in prime grizzly habitat on a stream choked with head high willows, even though the bear spray was strapped to my chest, there was still a certain amount of creepiness fishing up there alone. Ohh and the icing on the cake...I see the pics of guys catching 3 or 4 inch trout and always wanted to do that. Today, on the Copper John a 3 inch cutty took the fly and my hook set did not send him airborne. (finally getting better at that)

Don't have any pics as I haven't replaced my stolen camera yet...

Dave
Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Trifecta

Sounds like a good day Dave.

I just came home myself from some brush whacking. I hiked up a creek that is about 60 miles from the house here. As it turned out I should have went about another 1/2 mile before beginning to fish. Where I started I got connected to 2 very nice rainbows.......both of which came off the hook after about 15 - 20 seconds. Funny, the small ones don't seem to have that problem and I caught a bunch of those.

I'll give it another go next week and go the extra mile. The trout follow the salmon and the salmon are higher up at this time.............

Good to hear you got into some fishes.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 AM

swimmy will become famous soon enough

Dave

Were you fishing in Western MT? Not asking which creek, but just curious general location.

Also, check out this tiny rainbow I landed on a sex dungeon that was bigger than the fish. I thought about keeping the fish on, re-casting, and trying for the Lower Madison upgrade. However, after thinking about it, this fish had great genes (going after a streamer bigger than him) so I decided to let him go. Hopefully we will shake hands again in 5 years or so!

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Northwest Montana.

Dave
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good for you Dave. I know the tingly spine feeling well over in your neck of the woods. But you can ease your fear knowing that grizzlies are in the very high country this time of the.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Good to see you made it out to Montana for some much needed fly fishing. Sounds like you found a real gem of a stream. I get that same feeling when I'm out in Grizzly country, especially when on deep brushy creek where you can't see very far.

Larry

Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dave: Good to see you made it out to Montana for some much needed fly fishing. Sounds like you found a real gem of a stream. I get that same feeling when I'm out in Grizzly country, especially when on deep brushy creek where you can't see very far.

Larry
You woulda loved being with me yesterday, both of you. The bear tracks were day old and it was about a size 12 bear. I figure them by the fact that I wear a size 14 wading boot and the hind foot print of the bear looked about a size 12, #6 wide................ Pretty good bear to have wheels that big, I didn't see hide nor hair and I'm good with that.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Didn't have a thermometer but was fairly high in the mts and the water was cold. Had no idea they fish would be so aggressive, perhaps not fished often (no tracks but mine) going back in the morning at first light.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.