The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A New Landing Net & I'm Liking It;

The forum is, as you know good for many things. Often I read posts that remind me of things temporarily forgotten from the past, other threads clue me in to something I'd never heard of before. A while back one of our members started a thread asking whether he should buy a net constructed of wood or carbon fiber. My initial reply was that "guys who fish with bamboo should use wood nets".

As the thread progressed and members commented, someone (I forget who) mentioned that they were using a carbon fiber net made by 'Nomad'. Now I'm a stubborn old school kinda guy who uses the same flies year after year and change isn't something I long for but; I took a trip through the internet and found the Nomad web site.

After looking the nets over I contacted Kevin at Nomad and ordered a 'Guides Net'. This is a landing net with an 18 X 13" hoop and a deep 'Ghost' rubber net bag attached. The handle is 47" long and has a measuring scale included in the side of the handle just in case you catch something that would merit recording. The net weighs a staggering 1 pound, that's just 16 ounces! I've found that because I'm tall the net slips down the back of the wader belt on a pair of Simms G-3 waders and can be carried with little notice of its presence and is handy when needed.

Because I often use 2 hand rods in length between 13 & 15' the long handle makes it much easier to scoop a trout and the bag of course does not end up snagging the hook or the fish. I will eventually do a full review after it has a season on it.

Here are a few photos of this light weight wonder;
Click the image to open in full size.

If any of you decide to investigate the Nomad nets site and you end up contacting them, please be sure to stress that you found out about them here on the forum. If you do contact them, urge them to advertise with us here. I have been hoping to bring them on as a business member but they haven't taken the fly yet

I'll do some more photos of this net and add them over the next couple days. They have a pretty good assortment of nets but these are not cheap...........

One other thing, they are tough! I have been using mine as a stand in wading staff when crossing rivers, they aren't a perfect wading aid but it beats the heck outta nothing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default Re: A New Landing Net & I'm Liking It;

Great looking net. Keep us posted on how it holds up. The feature I like best is the 47" handle with a measuring scale. This means I could line up about 8 of my average trout, and measure them all at once ! This would be a real time saver, and allow for more fishing time
mcnerney and rockriver like this.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice net you have there ard.
and the leopard inside isn't to shabby either

ARFE
Old 07-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
The feature I like best is the 47" handle with a measuring scale. This means I could line up about 8 of my average trout, and measure them all at once ! This would be a real time saver, and allow for more fishing time
That's a good one man!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

maybe it's my browser, but I went to their website and was unable to put anything in a cart for purchase. Yellowstone Angler has their nets for sale and that's the only place I saw prices...so far, not easy to do business with.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike,

Please use the 'Contact' on their web site and tell them you're interested and that you saw the net on our forum posted by Ard Stetts. We need more sponsors here

The nets are way cool and nearly weightless, the marketing states that they are tough as well. I'm hoping not to test mine for that right away.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

That's an awesome net, I've been looking for something like that. I have a small net made by a local company here in TX, and they do fine work, but I need something longer and not wooden.

I really like the depth of the basket, too. Ghost nets are awesome but slippery, and a big trout can wriggle out of a shallow basket pretty easily, I've found. I hate that this causes so many tangles/issues, but hate it even more for issues it can cause the fish!

Can't what to hear further reviews!

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and thanks for sharing, Ard!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Very nice looking net! I like the idea of the frame being made out of carbon fiber, should hold up for a very long time. I also like the long handle, especially when using the drift boat or pontoon, just makes netting a fish all the more easily.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Hi Larry,

I had 2 real dandy trout come undone from the hook yesterday before they could be actually caught.

It was a long walk and I was beat when I got home at 11:00 last night but those 2 fish were all it took; I'll be back up there tomorrow. I caught quite a few small fish, enough to keep it interesting but only had the 2 big ones on. I believe that if I bite the bullet and go another mile I'll be into them.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great net Ard.Been using a ghost net for two years now and I'm very pleasedwill have to order one like yours if Batistou goes on catching big carp