The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Hemostats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Oooo, Oooo, I know a sales pitch...

..... because the ones used for open heart surgery just ain't good enough.

+1 - get a pair from a recent med school grad who isn't going into surgery. Far better quality than ones I've picked up at fly shops.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I just read (some of) the nippers thread. All I have to say is "WOW!" I had no idea.

I will confess that I own a pair of Abel nippers, their pliers, and several of their reels. What can I say? I like their stuff, and the factory happens to be close by. It's hard to not stop by occasionally to drool over their new concoctions.

I suppose it can be compared to buying $90 flip flops, Tag Heuer watches, or fancy polarized sunglasses. We don't need them, but we buy them because we like them.

I don't know how much the hemostats will cost, but I can imagine they won't come cheap. At some point in the future, I just might own a pair. I promise I will proudly crimp barbs and carefully remove flies from the mouths of fish with great precision. Now I'll be able to save my teeth from doing that job.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I don't know how much the hemostats will cost, but I can imagine they won't come cheap. At some point in the future, I just might own a pair. I promise I will proudly crimp barbs and carefully remove flies from the mouths of fish with great precision. Now I'll be able to save my teeth from doing that job.
I don't think I'll get them, but don't believe that means they aren't a cool thing for someone else. dude, if you can pinch barbs and release fish with your teeth, you're a crafty guy...
dean_mt likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I just can't imagine spending that much money on something that there's at least a 50% probability that I'm eventually going to lose in the river, or bushwhacking near the river and never see again. They do make nice stuff though.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

von just because something has been working well for years does not mean they cannot make something that is better, I think some of the response here is pretty rude or comes off that way. I like the apparent design and would like the option to lock or not. Can't abide the standard stainless hemostats they are made for little hands so I use a heavier style that have no serrated teeth. Did they say when they will be bringing them out?
Up here we are 6 months behind so I would end up buying them from south of the Border.
jaybo41 likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

VB,

Since you went back and read the Nippers thread, now you know what I'm talking about. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like, whatever that is. Nobody needs to apologize or justify themselves for that. The ugliness that came out in that thread is what I can do without, which was my point in my previous post.

Abel is no doubt a quality company making beautiful products, right here in the USA. I'm a big fan of the nippers, but I'm not sure these stats will find their way into my tackle bag. These look a little bulky to suit my taste, but then I am fishing for trout, smallmouth and steelhead. Perhaps if I found myself in the salt or chasing toothy critters, I'd be more interested.

They do look well made which is obviously what one would expect with an Abel product. When the nippers came out I too said no way, got them as a gift and wouldn't consider anything else after having used them. They're wonderful. This leads me to the point that right now, I say I'm likely not be interested in them but who knows what may find it's way into the tackle bag one day.

Oh, and Avs WILL buy a set. Take that one to the bank!
mcnerney, von behr and comeonavs like this.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
von just because something has been working well for years does not mean they cannot make something that is better, I think some of the response here is pretty rude or comes off that way. I like the apparent design and would like the option to lock or not. Can't abide the standard stainless hemostats they are made for little hands so I use a heavier style that have no serrated teeth. Did they say when they will be bringing them out?
Up here we are 6 months behind so I would end up buying them from south of the Border.
Kerry,

There's no doubt, innovation is key to success in any industry. This tool is sort of a cross between a plier and hemostat. I'm with you, most hemostats are awkward to work with, especially with big mitts like mine. I currently have a large pair of Dr. Slicks that are the only pair I've found that are comfortable for me to use.

Abel had a small handful of prototypes on hand that they took to the show to demonstrate to dealers and such. I don't know their production schedule at this point, but we should expect to see them very soon.

I saw one in the brown trout paint job, and it looked really cool.

I just did a quick Google search, and there are a couple of online dealers taking pre orders for $125 with an advertised shipping date of late July.

-VB
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Thanks Von, I will have a look as well. I am a tool geek so I often end up buying stuff and giving it away but every 10 or so gadgets I find something I like. Thanks for the initial post.
von behr and jaybo41 like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Oh, and Avs WILL buy a set. Take that one to the bank! [/QUOTE]

My wife gets her masters in social work from Univ of Southern Cal in December and I won't be the only bread winner so I might get myself a "treat" or two
von behr, jaybo41 and williamhj like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I just read (some of) the nippers thread. All I have to say is "WOW!" I had no idea.

I will confess that I own a pair of Abel nippers, their pliers, and several of their reels. What can I say? I like their stuff, and the factory happens to be close by. It's hard to not stop by occasionally to drool over their new concoctions.

I suppose it can be compared to buying $90 flip flops, Tag Heuer watches, or fancy polarized sunglasses. We don't need them, but we buy them because we like them.
Yup... Just like a pair of high quality sunglasses... Abel nippers will save your eyes from excessive uv rays and glare which can do serious damage to your eyes throughout a lifetime of fishing...