The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel Hemostats

I use a straight point set of Dr. Slick's which I like quite a bit. Not only do they work for me, but they slide into the Fishpond Retractor that I use so I don't have to worry about that sharp point ever jamming me when I take the inevitable fall and going through some organ I'd rather not have to get repaired. So I'm satisfied with my set up.

However, I had no desire to buy the Abel nippers until I bought a pair as a gift for my best bud for Christmas. Once I held them in my hands, I wanted a pair for myself, which ironically, I received as a gift from said bud. So while my plan is to pass on these, when I see the in the fly shop I will check them out. If I like them - the build and functionality - I'll probably buy a pair because I love Abel gear. I have no interest in a fish print because they will take a beating, like my nippers do. I'll save the fish prints for reels. I will add that those nippers are the best darn set I've ever owned. I love them.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
This thread has the same potential as the Nippers thread.
That's why I just had to come and see.
von behr and dean_mt like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Oh I don't know.......... I don't see the potential for any great controversy with this one. I, and probably many others carry a Leatherman Wave and they aren't cheap. My standard hemostat's do well but sometimes you need some extra muscle power, the Abel's look pretty strong.
von behr likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I suppose it can be compared to buying $90 flip flops, Tag Heuer watches, or fancy polarized sunglasses. We don't need them, but we buy them because we like them.
$90 flip flops! What the ... ?
oldtownpaddler likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I hope they make them in red so I can accessorize

Click the image to open in full size.
Hey, I have the same pair, and I love 'em... red is great, very visible should I ever drop 'em off the lanyard.

If someone gave 'em to me (In-laws, are you listening? Christmas is just around the corner...) I'd use the heck out of 'em. Although I do have the pliers/knife combo already
von behr likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I want them...of course I want everything so this feeling is not new!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
$90 flip flops! What the ... ?
Hatey McHaters
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Tag Heuer watches,
I wear a Tag Heuer Link SEL 200 gold & stainless A bit of overkill but I like it. Every now and then it shows up in a fish picture on my wrist. I gotta say that it never has skipped a beat since 2000.

Watches were a weakness last century I guess. I did choke on the Submariner but now I wish I had done it, they aren't getting cheaper.

There are just some things that fall way below the bar of conspicuous consumption that we just must have. Because of that I am not critical of anyone who wants the Able nipper or anything else for that matter.

What I really want is a Robertson R-44 and I'm still saving for one

Might need to Google that one..............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I have a gold and stainless Rolex Date Just from 1973. It was a gift to my father on my birth day, my dad gave it to me a couple years ago. My name is engraved on the band. It needs a minor repair, the crown is loose under the crystal, that will coast $300. I could buy about 8 of the Timex's I'm wearing right now for that!

Or maybe an Abel nipper!

But I really need to get that watch fixed.

Last edited by dean_mt; 07-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, mount some rod tubes on that and that would be quite the fishing vehicle! Nice way to travel. Can you get it in fish pattern?

I think the Abel nipper thread had more to do with winter than anyone really caring what kind of nippers someone else used, I hope anyway.
Hardyreels and von behr like this.