The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Abel Hemostats

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Are the open heart surgery type better that the stainless ones I picked up in and Army/Navy surplus store 30 years ago?
Well actually yes, but then that's why they sell upwards of $300. I see Abel's products intended for those interested in quality for a lifetime of use.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'll buy a pair...if they come with free nippers
von behr likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I have a gold and stainless Rolex date just from 1973. It was a gift to my father on my birthday, my dad gave it to me a couple years ago. My name is engraved on the band. It needs a minor repair, the crown is loose under the crystal, that will coast $300. I could buy about of the Timex's I'm wearing right now for that!

Or maybe an Abel nipper!

But I really need to get that watch fixed.
I'd get the watch fixed!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

When I think of Abel, I think of those painfully ugly looking Mercedes jeeps. They are for people who want a jeep, but want it to look like it cost them 80K and want the Mercedes logo on it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to buy cheap products that break after a day, but $50 for a glorified nail clipper just makes my eyes roll.

But hey, if you got the money and nothing else to blow it on, I guess.....
Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
I'd get the watch fixed!
I know I really have to. I need to just put aside the money and do it. There are just so many other things I'd like to blow $300 on if I have it at my disposal.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I "splurged" a buck and a half for a self-winding Seiko when I was in Okinawa. It's huge and heavy enough to make your left arm bigger than your right. It's been sittin' in a box for many years. I lose and break watches too fast to spend big bux. I need a clip watch, mostly just to watch the clock for start and end times while duck hunting.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
$90 flip flops! What the ... ?

I will spend some $$ on Costa's...a nice reel...but thats it...the rest I make myself because gas is 4 bucks a gallon...

besides if I lost those engineered beauties I would be in mourning for year...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Coming from a family of surgeons ive been privileged enough to get to use the old out of service surgical hemostats. All i have to say is they are much lighter and more precise then the cheap ones. Albeit they do the exact same thing except i find the spring tension much lighter and easier to use on the surgical ones.

Those retail for 250+ dollars so i think there is a high chance the abel ones will actually be a little bit of a value if you look at it that way

Regardless, I like nice things and will proudly support american companies that make quality products, necessary or not.

I will snip my line and use my pliers with pride! hahaha
von behr and ulflyfisherman like this.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have one of the early self winding Seiko's too but mine is very light. it dates to 1970 - 72, a bud traded his GI issue Timex for it while in South East Asia. I don't wear it much these days because once you start you can't take it off or it dies.

most times when at the cabin or extended trips to the outback I wear a Citizen Eco Drive circa 2004. It's one of the Moon Phase crono watches and every time I'm straining my eyes to read the day or date I wonder why I ever got it.

It is solar powered and supposed to never die.............. That's what makes it good.

But; figure this out, it's a chronograph watch with a main dial for time, then three smaller dials for 'month' - 'day' and moon phase. The day is logged by a sweep type hand and the tiny numbers are at the extreme edge of the dial face.

Now the 'figure this out' part; if it is keeping track of all that stuff, why do I need to correct the date when we go from a 31 day month to a 30 day month or visa versa

That's the part which really makes me question what I was thinking when I bought this............... The part about no battery is still good but the rest........

Well,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
When I think of Abel, I think of those painfully ugly looking Mercedes jeeps. They are for people who want a jeep, but want it to look like it cost them 80K and want the Mercedes logo on it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to buy cheap products that break after a day, but $50 for a glorified nail clipper just makes my eyes roll.

But hey, if you got the money and nothing else to blow it on, I guess.....
Those G-wagens are just about the only vehicle on the planet that can out-4x4 a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon right off the showroom floor.

Now, hardly anyone actually buys a G-wagen for offroading, but they are awesome vehicles--one of the only ones Jeep fanboys will give respect to.

So, it's actually a pretty good analogy for the Abel nippers (and I drive a Jeep). I love my pair, but it took a special trip and birthday for me to justify spending the money on them. Having said that, they really are the best.

I'm looking forward to these 'stats. Not sure how long it will take me to figure out an excuse to buy them though...

Last edited by biggie_robs; 07-25-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: to stay on topic