The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Stillwater Questions

I have not fished nearly enough this summer and, when I do find a couple of hours, I end up at one of the local lakes. I have been having a lot of fun with the bluegills using a basic piece of foam with a piece of grizzly hackle wrapped about 60% of the way up. Works real well, truthfully. I seem to catch at least ten every time I go out.

But I am still very confused about some things...

First, let's say I want to cast, oh, about 40-50 feet. I "can" do that--not the best and not always on the first shot--but I "can" do that. That is the easy part. Retrieving it is the hard part (for me). How in the world do you retrieve it? I think I know. I am right-handed and my right hand holds the rod and my pointer finger holds the line tight to the rod. And my rod tip is held low, near the water, right?

What if I have a bunch of wigglies in the line? Do I hurry up and straighten it out? I assume I do....

I am thinking I then pull a little fly line with my left hand. I think there are several ways of doing what I want: (1) pull the line and let it drop to my side or (2) pull a "handful" of line each time and sort of wrap it back-and-forth and hold it in my left hand. But if I hold it all in my left hand, what do I do whenever I am done pulling the fly in? Drop it all in the water next to me?

That beings up the next question: How far do I retrieve the line? Until there is about a foot of fly line left? Whenever I get to that point, do I pick up the fly and cast again at that point?

Now one of the biggest questions...I lift the fly out of the water and is this when I leave some of the line I have laying next to me in the water out on the backcast? When about half of the line flows out on the backcast, so I then quickly put my right pointer-finger on the line and finish the cast? Then, during the forward cast, I let the rest of the line out? Is that what I do???

I know it is a dumb question but I cannot really find the answers out there. I am teaching myself, for the most part. (I know Jaybo: go to International Angler and get a couple lessons! I want to but I never know when I am going to be free these days...but you are absolutely correct. And I will get there one day soon, I promise.)

I am getting into a bad habit of casting not quite so far, then lifting my rod to pull the fly towards me. And I do not stop until it is real close to me. I know this is wrong and I need to break the habit before it gets worse.

I want to try to use some wet flies now, since the fish are deeper. And I would like to try a popper at some point in time, but I need to figure out how to retrieve correctly and, then, cast the fly back out there.

I Know I should know the answers to these questions by now but I think I have been purposely avoiding this because I feel stupid. But I need to finally put my tail between my legs and ASK.

But I do have to admit, even though I stink at this fly fishing stuff, I do catch more fish so far this summer than I did possibly in my entire life.

ray
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stillwater Questions

You are on the right track. I assume you are fishing from shore?

If so, there is one major problem with letting the line fall to your side and that is the stuff that's there for the line to catch. Major pain the butt. You have 2 options. Get in the water and let it float or get a stripping basket. If your already in the water, do just as you say and let it fall to your side.

In terms of retrieve, when fishing streamers, keep that rod pointed at the water with just a slight angle to the line and strip it in. The action of the fly comes from how you retrieve it. Long and slow, fast twitches, twitches and pauses,etc...the sky is the limit on that one. I strip it until there about about a foot of fly line left and then use the water tension to help pull a bit more line out as I start the backcast.

If you have a lot of loose line after the cast then you need to really focus on your cast. That is the main issue that truly needs to be addressed. Until then, take long strips, still with rod pointed to the water, until you are imparting action on the fly. At that point, begin your desired retrieve.

In terms of controlling line on the cast, I generally allow line to go out on my back cast. I do not pinch the line with my index finger on the rod hand. Instead, I control that with my loose hand (in my case my left hand). I pinch it between my left hands pointer finger and thumb. On the back cast, let up just enough pressure to let the line slide a bit. Before you start your forward cast, pinch it tight and begin. On my final forward cast, I will take those same two fingers and make an "0" with them allowing the line to shoot through my fingers and through the guides. This also allows me to control the line so it doesn't wrap around the rod. In addition, as soon as that fly hits the water, I can then easily pinch it between the cork and my pointer finger on the rod hand. This means there is no time wasted trying to gain control over any loose line. I can instantly start my retrieve.

Hope this makes sense.
busbus likes this.

Last edited by brookfieldangler; 07-21-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You have a line hand and a rod hand
The rod hand does not touch the line during the cast. Line control is all with the line hand.

If you use the "figure 8" retrieve you can keep the retrieved line in your line hand without putting it down or in the water. You can do the same thing collecting loops, but I find that a little more difficult to do with out getting tangles

Click the image to open in full size.
the thumb and forefinger hold the line, and the other fingers are used grab a small bunch of line, the wrist is twisted and the thumb and forefinger grab some more.
rangerrich99 and busbus like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
You are on the right track. I assume you are fishing from shore?
Yes, I am fishing from shore. That does not mean I have any objections to wading into the water. That is always an option but there are so many places along the shore where I can make a few casts from shore and I actually cannot even get into the water. In fact, there are only a couple spots where I can get into the water.

So it sounds like a stripping basket could be an answer for those times when I am not wading. Otherwise, just let it fall into the water.

Quote:
I strip it until there about about a foot of fly line left and then use the water tension to help pull a bit more line out as I start the backcast.
Ahhh! There is the answer to the first big question I have! I have to quit lifting my rod until the fly gets close to shore. I do stop once there is about a foot of fly line out but I have a nasty habit of continuing to retrieve my fly.

Quote:
If you have a lot of loose line after the cast then you need to really focus on your cast. That is the main issue that truly needs to be addressed.
I am getting better. I am trying. I can still count on my fingers and toes how many times I have actually been out on the water with a fly rod.

Quote:
In terms of controlling line on the cast, I generally allow line to go out on my back cast. I do not pinch the line with my index finger on the rod hand. Instead, I control that with my loose hand (in my case my left hand). I pinch it between my left hands pointer finger and thumb. On the back cast, let up just enough pressure to let the line slide a bit. Before you start your forward cast, pinch it tight and begin. On my final forward cast, I will take those same two fingers and make an "0" with them allowing the line to shoot through my fingers and through the guides. This also allows me to control the line so it doesn't wrap around the rod. In addition, as soon as that fly hits the water, I can then easily pinch it between the cork and my pointer finger on the rod hand. This means there is no time wasted trying to gain control over any loose line. I can instantly start my retrieve.
Okay, so, from what I am understanding, I should work on holding the line with my line hand. So the first thing I need to do is break the habit of holding the line tight against the cork with my rod hand. Man, that will be tough, I think! But I will do it.

Are you saying to let a little bit of line slip out on the back cast? A little but not too much?

Then, on the forward cast, let as much line flow out as required and, once the amount that I am able to cast is out and the fly hits the water, I immediately use my pointer finger to hold the line against the rod.

I think I got it....now I need to do it. I need to break some nasty habits.

Thanks a lot!!!

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If you use the "figure 8" retrieve you can keep the retrieved line in your line hand without putting it down or in the water.
RipTide,

Are you saying I can hold the line in my hand and not drop it using this method? Or do I collect it and let it drop before I make my cast?

I am thinking I just hold onto it all.

I know my questions are extremely basic. And Jaybo is correct: I need to go get some one-on-one instruction from an Orvis shop near me. A lot of my questions will be answered there but I am trying to learn as much on my own--and at least create good habits before I go there to refine my techniques.

Maybe I am totally wrong. But I want to say that I have received more help here than anybody could ever have imagined. Thanks to everybody who has helped me over the months I have been here. I have learned a lot from the questions I have asked and three times that amount reading the responses to questions others ask.

ray
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Okay, so, from what I am understanding, I should work on holding the line with my line hand. So the first thing I need to do is break the habit of holding the line tight against the cork with my rod hand. Man, that will be tough, I think! But I will do it.

Are you saying to let a little bit of line slip out on the back cast? A little but not too much?

Then, on the forward cast, let as much line flow out as required and, once the amount that I am able to cast is out and the fly hits the water, I immediately use my pointer finger to hold the line against the rod.

I think I got it....now I need to do it. I need to break some nasty habits.

Thanks a lot!!!
Essentially! My goal when I let line out is not always to let the whole amount that I want to cast but rather to let enough out to properly load the rod so I can maximize the amount of line I want to shoot on the forward cast.