The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default 27.5" bow on 7x on a zebra midge

I was fishing with my mom on the norfork river in arkansas right below the dam. I had my dad's five weight rigged with a chernobyl ant on top and below that I had a size 22 black zebra midge on 7x. We had caught a few fish that morning but nothing over 12 inches. I made a cast and watched my hopper stop. I set the hook and I said, well I must be hung up. Five seconds later, he exploded. since my dad is opposite handed i couldn't fight the fish using the reel instead I had to strip him in. I had to take my time because he was hooked with a size 22 on 7x (2 lb) tippet. After 30 min. of head shakes and 4 jumps I got him in some slow shallow water and my dad netted him! He measured 27.5" with a 16.75" girth. after a few pics, we released the fish!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 27.5" bow on 7x on a zebra midge

Congrats on landing a real trophy Rainbow!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

About all I can think of is a hearty WELL DONE!
It looks like you have a good start on being a great fisherman, and have learned your lessons well, especially patience. Congrats on a great fish.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very nice fish on any tippet but especially impressive on 7x. Thanks for posting the pictures
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Well done !!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM

ZachMatthews will become famous soon enoughZachMatthews will become famous soon enough

Very well done. Were you fishing up in Dry Run Creek or was this fish out in the main pool below the dam? Either way he probably made his home in Dry Run most of the time. Good job.

Zach
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Cheese-n-Rice!!!

That is a helluva rainbow. Great job.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough

Holy Cats! Congrats on an amazing fish
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

That area is usually full of monster browns, glad to see a rainbow in there. I know a guy on the anual trip to that water, first cast caught a 33" brown. photo then released, next cast caught a 34" brown. photo and then released, after that he went back to the bank lit up a cigar and smiled the whole rest of the day. Cant argue with stuff like that
mbchilton likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

Holy Trouts Batman!!