The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Did You Go There?

Last nite in Montana and thinking about the waters fished and why I fished them. Upon arrival, checked in with two reputable fly shops and got the news on the blue ribbon streams and rivers, what I heard was "the fishing was good but technical and expect to see a slew of fisherman) not something that interested me. So I spent the next two mornings driving dirt roads and hiking, looking for my idea of an ultimate fishing experience and was fortunate to find such a place. (yes, I am being a little secretive)

So now I'm curious, why do you travel to Montana, Colorado or Wyoming to fish? There isn't a wrong answer here, only curious. I now have property in Montana and can say the fishing is just one of the reasons and by no means the "main event", solitude, the diversity of geography and wildlife pulls me here, what about you.

Dave
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: Why Did You Go There?

Great point! A while ago, Dave Whitlock wrote a article on this exact thing.

You can have a ball catchin' the local sunfish with a UL fly rod?

I do it all the time!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dave,

'Technical fishing' those guys crack me up. You know me a little, I've been around the country a bit, what I'm not sure of is whether or not I've ever done any technical fishing

By the sound of it you figured out how to get away and catch some fish. In any of the states you listed I never had any trouble finding a place where there was no one else fishing. Part of the enjoyment was exploring the new states. I especially enjoyed Colorado, probably because I stayed there a year. That was plenty of time to find some good spots.

Here in Alaska we take a trip every year, in a few days we're going again. I'm not sure where and I'm not sure why either
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

In my opinion and this is coming from a guy with lack of knowledge and technical poor fisherman like me. All fishing is technical regardless of how simple/cheap to complicated/expensive, from the night crawler fishing to the gentleman fly fishing like we all do here, even in the video games.

Now I won't go to fish in Montana and Colorado because they are too technical for me, but I'll fish the Bow river in Alberta.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
'Technical fishing' those guys crack me up. You know me a little, I've been around the country a bit, what I'm not sure of is whether or not I've ever done any technical fishing
If you keep them how do you prepare a technical to cook & eat?

Quote:
from the night crawler fishing to the gentleman fly fishing like we all do here,
I've drowned a few night crawlers in my day, but have never fished for gentleman. My preference is to be fishing for fish!

Same question as above! Well, I guess you would have to release any gentleman you caught. It would be silly to keep them. Would probably be too tough to eat anyway!
von behr likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

The main reason, I will forever be romanced by landscapes. Mountain peaks, glacial valleys, right down to the river stones polished oval by eons of hurriedly moving water. After that, the culture of the mountain west and the frequency that my dry fly box opens is also what draws me across Kansas.

Last week I was nearly 9000ft up in Moraine Park fishing the Big Thompson. Surrounded by towering peaks, landing brown trout on dries with the promise that at days end I would have a cold micro brew served in a friendly cantina. This is why I am doing everything I can to re-locate, notches for famous rivers fished- not so much.

Last edited by russellb; 07-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Russ, sounds like you had a good time. While knocking about in the mountains I stumbled upon the trails manager for the Bob Marshall Wilderness and had a interesting conversation. After all was said and done I came away with a new job after retiring. Going to volunteer my time doing trail repair work in the Bob. Can't think of a better way to learn the flora and fauna of that back country.

I am not knocking anyone, but suspect many fisherman come out West to put a notch on their rod handle, just as some want to catch every species of trout. We each have our own reasons, lets hear some more.

Dave
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Dave,

The term has baffled me too. Are there blue prints involved? Some kind of ichthyometer? Long-winded articulations rivalling the most redundant legal-ese?

[hellfiredanmnationthunderoltsandbrimstone]Thou shalt place thy split shot exactly 18" above the nymph on the tippet. If thy tippet is too short, thou shall change thy tippet for one of greater length or thou shalt not be allowed to cast a tek-nickle-lee imperfect arrangement.[/hellfiredanmnationthunderoltsandbrimstone]
Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

One of my best friends, Jim Greenlee passed in 2010. We fished the Madison River together for many years. I make a pilgrimage to fish this river every year, not only for myself but for Jim.

The first time I went back after he passed, I fished with his favorite rod and reel. I miss Jim but I miss him less when I am on the Madison.

Click the image to open in full size.

So why do we go back?

For me, a big reason is not to go back to a place but to go back in time. To revisit memories and fuse the new ones with the old. This makes the old memories so much more real and more recent in time and space.

And the fishing and scenery ain't bad either.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Colorado. For the hunting, fishing and skiing.