The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Orvis warranty (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/326053-orvis-warranty.html)

rickf 07-23-2013 11:44 PM

Orvis warranty

A couple years ago, I broke my Superfine 1 wt. I e-mailed Orvis, and with no questions asked, they gave me a repair number.

I sent it in, and a week and a half later I had the rod back with a new section. A couple months later the rod broke again! It had an old serial number, so it was a prototype? I guess?

This time Orvis sent me a whole new rod (all four pieces with a new tube)! LOL Brand new with a brand new serial number! FREE! well a $30 service fee?

My Helios is still being repaired (if you Helios guys see this, it's good PR, so please fix and send soon) ...... I love that fly rod!

2 years ago, a Superfine 1 wt:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps808d8ebd.jpg

new rod, arrived 2 weeks later ...... no charge:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...psb57171dd.jpg

I purchased the Helios while I was waiting for the Superfine to return. I then sold the Superfine to a friend who lives overseas. I wish I would have kept it:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...psfe95d48f.jpg

Hardyreels 07-24-2013 01:19 AM

Re: Orvis warranty

Sooner or later you'll have a few rods that are closely matched so that if some unthinkable thing should happen you will be 'deep on the bench'. I have more rods than I should perhaps but there are 3 of them in the 6'3" - 6'6" size and a few in each of the length & weight categories. It took a long time to acquire all of them but I'm glad they're here.

You might want to pick up a backup this winter,

Ard

pszy22 07-24-2013 05:33 AM

I've had Orvis replace two my 1wt Superfine rod twice over the past many years. In both cases, the rod just wore out at the ferrule due to alot of use and a ton of fish. To be honest, I wish I still had the original, I liked the feel of that one the best. Oh well, Orvis has consistently provided outstanding service and support for my rod.

vitesse304 07-24-2013 11:26 AM

My Helios was sent back 6 weeks ago...still waiting on it's return...

Let that be a lesson to you all! Don't break your rod in the spring if you want to fish in the summer!

medic77 07-24-2013 12:38 PM

They just replaced my 8" 4wt superfine touch no questions asked AND got a brand new one back in 10 days. Fantastic customer service. Thank you to the service tech that stayed on the phone with me for 20 mins shooting the breeze because he was a Missouri boy too and asked about details of my trip to Co. Great company.

They even offered to replace my superfine with a Helios 2 and have it there in 2 days. (A little extra money was involved)

Hardyreels 07-24-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pszy22 (Post 575514)
I've had Orvis replace two my 1wt Superfine rod twice over the past many years. In both cases, the rod just wore out at the ferrule due to alot of use and a ton of fish. To be honest, I wish I still had the original, I liked the feel of that one the best. Oh well, Orvis has consistently provided outstanding service and support for my rod.

Something about that doesn't seem right. I have a 1979 7'9" Far & Fine that has seen more time casting and hauling in fish than any other rod I own. The ferrule is as good as the day I got it way back then. With the rod I have caught everything except king salmon. The 'everything' includes some light saltwater species and freshwater from Carp to Silver Salmons.

There has to be something going on that is ruining that ferrule joint...........

fly_guy12955 07-24-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

My Helios was sent back 6 weeks ago...still waiting on it's return...

Let that be a lesson to you all! Don't break your rod in the spring if you want to fish in the summer!
I have never had issue one with Orvis. I have had a boatload of issues with shippers. Sent out from Orvis 6weeks ago ? I'd be all in the delivery boys stuff.

UPS is fair..only fair. Fed Ex,,umm,,fair too. I'll be glad the day the USPS delivers it's last mail to the last mail box.

I used to have a FFL. I was always at the depot sending or picking up something. I can tell you first hand,,,they DO NOT care what they do to your package.

vitesse304 07-24-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 575731)
I have never had issue one with Orvis. I have had a boatload of issues with shippers. Sent out from Orvis 6weeks ago ? I'd be all in the delivery boys stuff.

UPS is fair..only fair. Fed Ex,,umm,,fair too. I'll be glad the day the USPS delivers it's last mail to the last mail box.

I used to have a FFL. I was always at the depot sending or picking up something. I can tell you first hand,,,they DO NOT care what they do to your package.

It's still with orvis...they called today to say that they are waiting on parts and since it's been 6 weeks, they are just going to send me a Helios 2 instead of having me wait any longer!

pszy22 07-25-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 575628)
Something about that doesn't seem right. I have a 1979 7'9" Far & Fine that has seen more time casting and hauling in fish than any other rod I own. The ferrule is as good as the day I got it way back then. With the rod I have caught everything except king salmon. The 'everything' includes some light saltwater species and freshwater from Carp to Silver Salmons.

There has to be something going on that is ruining that ferrule joint...........

Not sure what to tell you. I also have a 1970's era Far and Fine and have never had a problem with it. I got the one weight sometime in the mid 90's, so there certainly could have been some design/manufacturing changes made between 1979 and 1994. Plus there could be some inherent differences just due to the surface area involved when comparing a five and one weight rod. And maybe is was just a manufacturing fluke.

On the first rod, the male ferule actually started to delaminate after about 10 years of use. I was actually sort of surprised since the rod gets so much use I leave it stringed up, never taking it apart. The second rod just had a poor fitting ferrule, it wouldn't stay seated. I finally got tired and when I took it back to the Orvis dealer, they agreed it wasn't right.

Please understand I am in no way complaining that Orvis makes an inferior product, quite the contrary, I've used their rods for a long time and have been very happy with their performance as well as their customer support.

nick k 07-25-2013 11:35 AM

I have an older Orvis Silver Label 5wt from about 12 years ago. Last year, it broke and I called Orvis to see if they could help since it was an old model. They had me ship it in for repairs and sent it back completely fixed for nothing but the shipping fee.