The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Expensive waders, are they worth it?

Depends on your use. I live in my waders for 12 hour days at a time. I need comfort and durability. I get both with my G3 and G4 waders. My original G3's are from 2006 and going strong. I fish some nasty stuff, blast through grass and brush over my head, bang into rocks, down trees and barbed wire that I can't see due to high grass. No issues short term or long term. And did I mention comfort - they're by far the most comfortable waders I've ever wore.

I did manage to drive a size 2 hook into my waders this spring, with barb uncrimped. That did produce a nice little hole. The great thing about GorTex is how well it can be repaired with a little piece of GorTex fabric and some aqua seal. Like new.

I'll never buy cheap waders again. But that's my experience. Everyone is different.

I will say that the price of these Simms is getting pretty darn high and the G3's are almost $100 more now than they were when I bought my first pair. I'm all for improving products, but I'd like to see them let the G3's alone and keep the price down rather than improving them with their new more breathable wader fabric - leave that to the the G4's or make a G5. You can't halt progress I guess but sooner or later they may price me out. I do have limits on how much I want to spend on things and I can get a lifetime big game reel for the price of their new G4's...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I will say that the price of these Simms is getting pretty darn high and the G3's are almost $100 more now than they were when I bought my first pair. I'm all for improving products, but I'd like to see them let the G3's alone and keep the price down rather than improving them with their new more breathable wader fabric - leave that to the the G4's or make a G5. You can't halt progress I guess but sooner or later they may price me out. I do have limits on how much I want to spend on things and I can get a lifetime big game reel for the price of their new G4's...
I concur Mike,

While I like to think I'm doing the best I can for my gear, once you reach a certain threshold I will not go there. For me, 450.00 is about as high as I could possibly dream that a pair of waders should ever cost. At that price I better see ten years unless I rip them up from misuse. At that price I don't want to hear about a leaky seam or bootie. If I have a leak at a seam of foot I will have to question the wisdom of spending half of a thousand dollars on waders.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Waders? Way down on my priority list. Just about any halfway decent pair will give us years of service.

Iíll go $250, even $299.95 but Iíd just as soon go back to something like O. S. System FCWís at a buck sixty nineÖ.and put up with some perspiration ( Like we did for decades ) before I go four of five hundred.
See: OS Systems Waders [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum
Or: Hunt & Fish | O.S. Systems

My reasoning is a little different than most of the guys posting so far. I avoid wearing waders whenever possible. Iím more likely to wear them in the dead of winter or when flying in somewhere, but rarely wear them from May 1 to October 31 in the Sierra or on the valley floor. Even in the Northern California surf ( which I surfed and played in for years ) I avoid waders. I honestly donít know how guys & gals can stand wearing waders - of any type, on a river in 70 to over 100 degree daytime temps. That scenario is probably the leading reason why I donít come across hardly any other anglers, miles in.

From November until the end of April, when we do use waders, we usually find ourselves layering up with poly-pro or capliene long johns due to the cold. So perspiration due to outside temps isnít so much a problem. While breathableís are great, theyíre not the only answer, just the one that gets tossed around the most and for many, the only answer theyíve ever been given. There are other solutions out there.

Weíve four pairs of older Simms Guide weights here at the house - all were purchased on sale from around 2000 to 2006 and I can only guess that theyíre still water tight. Just a few weeks ago, during our Man Cave Sale, we sold off two pairs of StreamLine chest high neoprene waders and two pairs of their waist highs. All four pairs were in very good shape and when you consider how long ago StreamLine went tits up, it might give you an idea just how necessary we find waders.

Itís not that I donít see the need in owning a heavy duty pair of breathable for some guys and gals, but I truly donít think that all anglers do, they just get up-sold on the dream, the fear & peer factors.

TT
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 07-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Totally agree with you Mike and Ard. I understand why companies phase out products and replace them with "improved" models. But man, I wish Simms had just left the classic Gore-Tex Guide wader alone and kept it in production. They are the super basic, no frills wader that work perfectly. No "convertible" whatever, no hand-warmers, zippers, specially designed suspenders, etc. Just rock solid Gore Tex waders that fit and perform flawlessly.

If they would have continued to make them just as they were they could continue to sell them for $300 and make it possible for more fisherman to into Simms waders.

This makes me thing that I should buy a pair of G3's now for the eventuality of when my old classics give out...because by then they will probably cost more the $500!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've said this before and here I go again. All of these "worth it" threads have the same answer. If they're worth it TO YOU, then the answer is yes, if not, look for the best alternative. The good news is these days, we have PLENTY of good options to select from. This discussion is in some ways parallels the "Looking the Part" thread. I don't care about what I look like, it's all about how the gear performs.

The important factors to me in no particular order:

Fit + breathability = comfort. Comfort is an absolute requirement and a proper fit can help inhibit premature wear. I don't care how much coin you drop on boots, if they don't fit right, they're going to wear faster than a boot that fits better. I don't want to be miserable or uncomfortable when I have boots on for 12 hours. Gore-Tex breathes better than any other wader or jacket material I have worn.

Durability/Layers. If you have easy wading through wide open spaces with little to know obstacles or brush then you may not need/want as many layers. Do you fish in the snow? If you do, then more layers may become more important. What's ideal for me is more layers in the legs and less in the upper. This gives me the comfort/breathability I need in the places I need it, and the layers in the wear area.

Form/Function. I really like a fleece lined hand warmer pouch on the outside, it's almost a must for any set of boots I'm going to wear through the bulk of the year fishing. I like a flip out zippered pocket that functions well.

Price. I'm nearing the upper end of my limits on the wader prices with the G3's and like Chi, Ard and Dean, wish Simms would have left well enough alone with these ones. It wouldn't surprise me if they someday resurrect them as they have recently done with the original Guide Waders.

Warranty/Level of Service. Simms Wader Repair is excellent. There are many other brands at the top too, Orvis, Bean, Patagonia all come to mind.

I have worn varying levels of Orvis and one pair of Bean waders before and they've performed admirably. The G3's meet the all the criteria that I'm looking for and are hands down the best boots I've worn. Nothing I've worn in the past or current breathes better. They fit well, the layers I need are there without overkill, the form/function is dead on perfect and the price was high but tolerable. The price though, may push me in other avenues depending on when I need new ones and what's out there at that time.

Disclaimer: I do own a pair of Orvis Sonic Seams--not the Sonic Silvers-- that I wear in warmer weather and they are limited in form, breathability but I got them on sale at a price way too good to pass up. I really like the sonic welding on those seams and believe it could be the wave of the future.

Last edited by jaybo41; 07-26-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

It would be so cool if nobody bought Simms waders just to make a point that they are too overpriced. It would work, but that's not realistic
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

At $500, those waders had better give me a 'happy ending'!

I think you gotta spend at least $250 to get decent waders though...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Lots of good discussion here. Obviously, expensive waders, like Abel nippers, are an example of "different strokes for different folks."

I finally retired (well, semi-retired) my old 4 mm neoprene Bare waders after wearing them for about 15 years or more. They were good waders, never leaked or let me down, but my god were they heavy and sweaty. I go on two "big" fishing trips a year--two weeks in Alaska for coho and two in BC for steelhead, both in the fall, and I wear my waders 8-10 hours per day and do a fair bit of bushwhacking sometimes. After watching my friends go through an endless succession of cheap breathable waders over the years I bit the bullet and plunked down for a pair of Simms G4s on sale (I got the 2012 version, the supposedly less breathable ones, for about $150 off). I can't believe the difference between them and my old neoprenes--so much lighter, drier, cooler, and even easier to walk around in. Also, the fact that they are made in the US, have a lifetime warranty, and Simms' reputation for excellent customer service were deciding factors. A number of my friends have also got Simms waders after blowing out the cheaper brands.

I understand that some people may balk at spending $500+ for a pair of waders, especially if they don't wade or fish a lot or have a lot of spare cash to spend on fishing gear. However, if you do fish and wade a lot and have the money I think it's worth buying the best waders you can afford. It's false economy to buy cheap waders if they leak on your big fishing trip and/or if you're replacing them every 2-3 years.

Scott
chi flyfisher and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

My $700 waders are worth it , especially considering I bought the G4Z on closeout for $499 last fall when the new and improved ones came out.

I am personally a buy the best because they last or have best warranty typically

Plus chicks dig my G4Z's. 6'1" 235lb grey haired old fart rolling up in those its like a rock concert.
jaybo41 and cletus like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
It would be so cool if nobody bought Simms waders just to make a point that they are too overpriced. It would work, but that's not realistic
Over-priced? Compared to what? Sure they make ridiculously expensive waders but that is because someone is buying them. I just visited their site after I read jaybo's post in which he said they have resurrected the classic guide model, very happy about that. But I see that Simms is producing at least 8 models of wader made in the USA. The cheapest made in USA model is $350. I don't know man, I don't think that is overpriced when compared to other made in America products.

Orvis' Guide Wader is $350 and "imported" Patagonia's top end wader is $499 and made in China.

So if you want boycott a company for overpricing products I start somewhere other than the made in Montana company.

BTW, Simms does sell $199 waders...but they are "imported."
chi flyfisher likes this.