The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expensive waders, are they worth it?

You know what ?
You're not going to get anyone that's bought expensive waders to admit that they're been over-charged.
It's human nature to defend your purchases and anyone would, regardless of the truth.
I have a different experience whether anyone chooses to believe it or not
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You know what ?
You're not going to get anyone that's bought expensive waders to admit that they're been over-charged.
It's human nature to defend your purchases and anyone would, regardless of the truth.
I think that is a fair assessment to a degree. And I agree to a point.

I'm sure that if someone spent $400 on a pair of waders and they began to leak within a year or even they would complain quite loudly. I know that I when pay good money for something, anything, I have expectations and when they aren't met I don't pretend to be happy. I usually tell people, anyone that will listen.

Conversely, if you have a pair of wader that you only paid $95 bucks for how quickly are you going to complain because your crotch is sweaty and they kept your feet dry for a couple seasons?
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 AM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

I have G4s.
I want the best if I'm going to be standing in the river here in Montana all winter and doing a whole bunch of steelheading elsewhere.
Simms makes good stuff.
When it comes to being out in serious conditions quality gear is a must as far as I'm concerned. I haven't always been able to afford it but I've always worked towards it and have, over the years, managed to become more and more comfortable and prepared for the worst with all my outdoors gear.

It's the same way with any backcountry gear. The better the quality the more comfortable you're going to be in rough conditions and the level of danger due to gear failure or inadequacy goes down. Also, the good stuff typically lasts longer.

If you live or fish in places where you're never too far from humanity then I can see where it wouldn't be as important to have serious layering, waders and rain/winter gear to wear.

Are expensive waders worth it? For me, absolutely.

Click the image to open in full size.
long bow likes this.

Last edited by blackbugger; 07-28-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:55 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
You know what ?
I think the price for G4Z is crazy, but thats what I wanted and had tax money and bought them. Would I buy them again, probably. Cabelas just came out with a zippered wader here recently and Im thinking they would be better for the Oklahoma summer temperatures.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You know what ?
RT - I'm not arguing your experience is different and you've had great success with your approach to wading gear - that's great. But I'm hardly defending my purchase of Simms waders and being "overcharged". I've fished a huge number of different brands of waders over 25 years of fishing. I've fished rubber hip boots, neoprene Reddingtons, various levels of breathables from Cabelas and similar manufacturers, Orvis and now Simms. To ME, the cost is worth it for the reasons I described in my post. I believe I have enough experience across enough wading brands and price points to share my results and my opinion without being accused of defending a purchase of expensive gear to make myself feel better.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
You know what ?
I will admit I was overcharged , even getting $700 waders for $499 is to much money. There is no way there is $700 worth of material in there.

Simms isn't chartered as a non profit
FRA where I bought them isn't a non profit.

So yes I was overcharged but its all relative. I bought a $100 pair in 2009 that sucked, no warranty. $200 pair in 2010 that keep me dry but smell like feces cause they don't breath and I get cold in them in the winter. I stand in the corner of I wish I had put that $300 towards the g4Z right off the bat. I am $800 in to waders instead of $500 because I tried to go cheap right off the bat.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I used to buy inexpensive ($79 LL Bean fly weight) because I thought why spend the money. After I went through 2 pair in less than 3 years I figured I should just spend the money and get a better quality pair. Thank goodness for LL Bean's warranty. I ended up spending $200 for the Men's Kennebec Waders, Stocking-Foot, and I couldn't be happier. The durability is so much better. Would I spend more for waders, probably not. I think once you get to a certain price point you're paying for the name and not the quality. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Expensive waders, are they worth it?

I own 3 pair of simms,the older classic guide from about 1999,older pair of g3,new pair of g3.The only waders I own have been SIMMS.I have seen and heard about other brands on the river and on forums like this and then here we go,you've tried the rest now buy the best!!!!!.SIMMS.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I think the waders are worth the money. Since you have the gift card splurge and get the Silver Sonics, they are a good wader, from what I am told.

I am a Simms guy, but recently saw Patagonia waders on sale for under $200 on Sierra Trading Post. With a 30% off coupon, what the hell - right?

Randy