The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default My Old Fishing Vest;

Right about 1979 or so there was an outfit called Stream Designs who advertised their 'Classic' vest everywhere.

I was young and carried everything imaginable with me so a vest with 25 pockets sounded like a good thing............

This is the front, I haven't worn this since about 1983 because I realized I probably shouldn't ruin it. You'll get why that was a concern when you view the back.

Click the image to open in full size.

I have a lady friend who was the person who made those really cool embroidered shirts for John Denver, Lynn Anderson and other notable artists and so I ask her to do something on the vest.

I gave her this;

That is an inlay of a rainbow on a sheet of polished copper, inlayed with 24 karat gold and 999.9 % pure silver and bronze. They were sold by the Franklin Mint in 1978 or there abouts...... Anyway I have one and liked it so I gave her the vest and the etching and she did this.

More detail;

I used it until I noticed the stain beside the trout and then retired it. it is one of the only things I've ever had that I can be sure that there isn't another one like it on the planet.

Ard
mcnerney, jpbfly, jaybo41 and 6 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: My Old Fishing Vest;

thats quite an interesting vest ard.
love the custom trout on the back

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Very kewl indeed, Ard.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: After seeing that beautiful embroidery work, I can understand why you would retire that vest.
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Neat vest! I retired mine as well... (or at least until I lose a couple pounds)
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

If that beauty was mine, it and the "pattern" for it would be in a nice oak shadow box, under glass. That is truly a work of art, and deserves to be hung on a wall.
Great keepsake !
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm glad to see that it is appreciated here. Judith is indeed an artist, she did some shirts that boggle the mind with the detail. The best I ever saw was done for Lynn Anderson (country music Lynn Anderson) and it had Pegasus the winged horse across the back with the wings extending across the shoulders and down the sleeves. The areas around the image were filled with stars........... Wish I had a photo of that, better yet, I wish it were mine
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great vest Ard!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That IS a unique vest for sure...beautiful embroideryI gave all my vests....but may find an old pic of the one I had in the 70s
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Ard, I had (in some cardboard box somewhere likely still have) the identical vest, made in Colorado if I recall correctly. Best vest of its day by far. No embroidery though and I had only a TGF patch. I am wearing a Simms, decade old, Vertical Guide Vest currently which I really like but it is beginning to come apart. There are no patches on it but a few pins and a lot of stains.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 07-26-2013 at 01:12 PM.