The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM

arcamedies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soft Hackle fly question

I fish with a lot of Caddis emergers on a drift and swing style of fishing. I'll throw it up stream and let it dead drift down to me while giving the line about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch tug once or twice until the line gets swept down stream and then I let it bow out on the swing. Once the line straightens out below me on the swing I give it about a 3 second count for the leader and tippet to straighten out and then I give the line another light tug. When Caddis emerge, they dart much faster in the water than mayflies from the few videos I have observed online. Sometimes that slight tug is just enough to entice a trout to take the fly very aggressively.