The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I have a crush on Joni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I wonder if "furled" leaders are better than "power taper" leaders? ..... for turning over tungsten beadhead flies?
The answer is yes, they work just fine. Furl's are made with a specific rod weight in mind. (Just to pick numbers) A 2-4, a 4 to 6, etc. The 'construction' gets heavier as the rod line weight goes up. I even use them on my lighter 2handers. I can pop flies out to 90' with my 3wt spey rod.

Only problem with that is you have zip idea what's really going on at the double fly end of your leader. Fish has to hook himself.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a crush on Joni

You're going to like them! I now have them on carbon, glass and cane rods and haven't used anything but Joni's furled leaders all season!

Pocono
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

I just received my leaders from Joni!

I like how they drop straight and flat after pulling out of the package. Can't wait to get these on the water

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
I just received my leaders from Joni!

I like how they drop straight and flat after pulling out of the package. Can't wait to get these on the water
Just wait till you cast same ..... DITTO!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I tie all my flies, and I think I'll give this a shot?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

RickF......I have done leader in that way but believe me they are not the same. Not even close.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

I made a few of the mono leaders and used them. They are ok but there isn't much of a life for them and they seem to kink and curl up. I like how Joni's leaders are fully woven together, leaving out knots .

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You're going to like them! I now have them on carbon, glass and cane rods and haven't used anything but Joni's furled leaders all season!

Pocono
Just used one yesterday on my 5 weight. OUTSTANDING!!!

I was using a caddis with a micro caddis drop and could easily turn over 7 feet of tippet. Seemed like my 5w turned into a 3w with the gentle turnover. My loops are so much tighter than with a mono leader and was able to cast under bushes with out snagging on limbs.

Joni Rulez

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Joni,

Do you sell them? What do you make them with?

How could I purchase a couple? What is the cost?
Maybe a 3 wt and a 6 wt.

Please post a reply here, or PM me!

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I use Joni's furled leaders and like them a lot. Here's the link to her website http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/