The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 650flyguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default wader lanyard

Gave my wader lanyard I rigged for fishing the surf a test run today,
it was quite functional.
I kept it tucked it in my waders when the tools were not in use.

Super simple, all you need is paracord, barrel swivels with snaps and a lighter.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Rip Tide, caseywise and plecain like this.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: wader lanyard

Just a question.

How do you use the forceps - like for getting a hook out of a fish?

It looks like they're on a very short leash.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Just a question.

How do you use the forceps - like for getting a hook out of a fish?

It looks like they're on a very short leash.
They are on a tight leash but they were usable on the water today.
I gave myself just enough slack the elasticity of the suspender also helps a bit.
I also put them on the right side because i tend to use hemostats with my right hand.

If you prefer, you could lengthen up the lanyard, add a leash or add some type of recoiling material or gadget.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like this, this is cool
On my lanyard, for the hemostats I just have a small knotted loop of cord off of the snapswivel.
I just clip my hemostats to to the frayed ends of the cord and have never lost one once.
(not like those ridiculous spring retractors )
Very easy to access.... one handed
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice setup !! Simple and easy to access! I like the use of snap swivels very innovative! Have to set my shorts up that way!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Very innovative. You could market those to guys who are too lazy to make their own !
I could see doing a lanyard like that if fishing with a back pack. It would make it easier to get to the more often used items.

P.S. to theboz.....just got an O.S.H.A. memo. It says if you hang one in your shorts, do not attempt to sit down.
Use extreme caution when clamping the hemostat back on to the correct cord. Be mindful of getting wound up in tippet material. No nippers shall be allowed in center position of lanyard. ..... you know what they say. They are only here to help.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is the 'Hemo, with the other few tools clipped below to my shirt/coat front. When not in use I just hang the thing over the back of the Jeep's rear view mirror. A reminder of a day on the river even if I'm not there.

One thing I've never seen (save for me) is one of the 'tools' is a bright yellow Police Whistle. If you really get into deep do-do (Thank God, not so far) no one will hear you "call for help." A whistle you can hear from a long way off.

GET ONE!

fae
Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I use such a thing in the drift boat. Generally I have my full on vest draped over the back of my seat for full access to everything with the lanyard laying on the front deck so nipper, floatant, etc. are conveniently right at hand. I am planning on adding a small square of ripple foam to affix a palate of a half dozen anticipated fly patterns to.