The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

I do love talking to people while fishing, and I routinely open my fly box to people who seem interested in what I'm doing. I also enjoy giving kids a closer look at the fish and letting them touch it, that always makes them and their parents happy.

Some people just turn me off though.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I do love talking to people while fishing,
Nick,

Same here. The young, hot chicks like to chat with me because I don't have a ring on ...... and I must say I'm pretty handsome! But most folks know me in a public lake I fish all the time.

True story: I would wade around this lake with my 1 wt Superfine and catch lots of big Bluegills on small beadhead nymphs. I would smash the barb down on the small size 16 hooks to release the fish easier. Two guys in a boat were using spin tackle with a float and hunk of worm. When I caught a huge 9" 'gill I released it and I'm pretty sure it swam away and bite the worm on that guy's hook! They kept all the bluegills for a fish fry!! They had close to 100 in their fish basket! 50 limit per person in PA.

I felt so stupid!! Now I keep a few 'gills and crappie every time I fish a clean lake. I'm a C&R guy, but I kinda like the omega 3's in fresh fish?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

From experiences I've had like this, it appears to me that most folks associated fly fishing with trout. Perhaps that was true at one time, but I also don't mind chatting with them, and do the best I can to educate them, that fly fishing is not a trout only sport.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One day I was fishing for smallmouth in the local river when a guy calls me over to chat.
He asked a lot of questions about fly fishing, the river, and what I was fishing for.
I thought he was just curious and passing time.

..... Don't you know, the next month in a regional fishing magazine there's a profile on the river, it's large smallmouth population and how popular the fishery was with area fly fisherman
nick k likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Zillion years ago, back up in Washington State, had a similar experience. Guy asked if he could take my picture. Why not?

Month'ish or two later I was on the cover holding a brace of Summer Run's. God, did I get my young butt 'ragged' over that. "Steelhead Trout Club of Washington" Fellows had a lot of fun with that at the annual 'Awards Dinner.'

fae
yonder likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

People rarely talk to me while fishing. Perhaps I look grumpy or look like I don't know what I'm doing
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

William, you need to get a Yellow Lab Puppy. You have no idea how many (pretty girls included) that will want to 'talk to you.'

fae
williamhj and yonder like this.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

People talk to me nearly every time I go anywhere. Especially it seems when I don't feel like talking. I usually enjoy conversation with people who don't try to fake like they know about fly fishing and are genuinely interested. That is as long as I am not fishing at that moment.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone felt the need to tell me there are no trout in my favorite smallie river. They are right of course.

I more often find myself with an observer on the shore and that doesn't bother me at all except that nothing seems to bring out the doplich side of my casting like having someone watching intently.

The greatest compliment I ever received while fishing was while fly fishing from my kayak at Rickett's Glenn State Park. A woman and her husband stopped their canoe to watch for a bit and I heard the woman say, "It's really very beautiful, isn't it?" That may have been the high point of my fishing life.
yonder likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
People talk to me nearly every time I go anywhere. Especially it seems when I don't feel like talking. I usually enjoy conversation with people who don't try to fake like they know about fly fishing and are genuinely interested. That is as long as I am not fishing at that moment.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
That's exactly how I feel and why I started this thread. I really do enjoy talking with strangers while fishing and educating them on the method, but not if they try and pretend like they know what's going on. If you don't know, don't pretend to know.