The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

Fred. Have a cute terrier but she's not on the river with me do usually let folks walking to the river know what flies are working while I'm leaving but don't have much conversation while fishing.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

The best line a stranger ever asked me was "Any luck with that thing?"
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I fish near a few college and tourist towns.......alot of young folks like to ask about flyfishing, and I try my best to answer their questions.......first impressions are everything.........I think it is very important to be a good ambassador for our sport.......and to help the younger generation whenever possible......
utah kelly likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I fish near a few college and tourist towns.......alot of young folks like to ask about flyfishing, and I try my best to answer their questions.......first impressions are everything.........I think it is very important to be a good ambassador for our sport.......and to help the younger generation whenever possible......
I used to fish at my college, right in the center of everyone. Would get some really strange looks and "what is he doing?" whispers.

Its always funny when I'm casting and people go WAY outside my range or angrily ask me to be careful. Sometimes I just want to say "does it look like I don't know what I'm doing?" Granted, sometimes it doesn't.....
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

just say.....do be do be do.....
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Years ago, I was fishing the river here in town. This section has office buildings on river left and a golf course on the other side. I could hear the office workers talking about me/fly fishing behind me. I notice the disturbance of a bunch of feeding fish and began to cast (a small dry) to them. It was a school of whitefish, not only saving me from a skunking but taking that fly on nearly every cast. For about 20 minutes I caught one after the other as fast as I could hook 'em and unhook 'em, till I put them all down. Really neat. And probably a much more positive reflection on the sport than me talking about it.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I had a guy a few weeks ago walk up to me while I was standing tying a new fly on in the middle of the stream, just started talking. Best part is once I saw him I jumped and about fell in the water, had my headphones in and pretty sure I was singing to Led Zep. In the end he was a cool guy, but dang no one knows how to tap a shoulder anymore hahaha

So really my story has nothing to do with the topic, but still...
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

I was fishing my favorite smallie river and there was a kid, about 8 years old, fishing on the shore with his dad where I enter the water to wade. The kid was the one to start a conversation with me asking, "why is your pole so long?" and "is fly fishing fun?". So I talked to him before I started fishing. That afternoon I was casting hoppers to the shore and twitching them back, and on ther second cast I caught a 10" small (the smallies don't get to big in our river), followed by an 8" bluegill, and a 12" smallmouth all in about 45 minutes. The kid was interested, because every time I caught a fish he'd tell his dad while sounding excited. Before they left, the kid asked his dad if he could try that, but the dad said it was too hard . I just hope the dad changes his mind. I'm not one to mind others business too much, but I almost felt like going over there and telling him it's not too hard and giving the kid a starting casting lesson. Hope the dad changes his mind.
Rip Tide, yonder and troutchaser8 like this.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Zillion years ago, back up in Washington State, had a similar experience. Guy asked if he could take my picture. Why not?
We used get a campsite and fish the Farmington every Columbus Day weekend. That's peak foliage season here in CT and the leaf peepers are always out in force.
One day I must have been in a particular picturesque spot, cuz when I turned around, there was 4 tripods set up in the pull-off behind me.
I reeled in and moved off right away
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Got another one the other day. Fishing a small local pond with bluegill and bass, guy stops and says excitedly "They stock this place?" to which I reply "No." He then says "Oh, so you are just practicing then." I answer by telling him that the pond is not stocked but has natural fish. His next line, "Oh, brown trout?"