The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
We used get a campsite and fish the Farmington every Columbus Day weekend. That's peak foliage season here in CT and the leaf peepers are always out in force.
One day I must have been in a particular picturesque spot, cuz when I turned around, there was 4 tripods set up in the pull-off behind me.
I reeled in and moved off right away
Shoulda stripped nekid and continued to fish. Give them a memorable photo.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

Some time ago I decided to make it a point to be friendly on the river. I figured that I know very well how to find secluded water so if I'm fishing a relatively public or well known spot I'm going to be a "nice guy". This was because the majority of fly fisherman I run across on the water act, well, not very friendly, if not downright grumpy. I realized that I didn't want to be that guy.

And it's an opportunity to teach every now and then. It's surprising to me that most folks, even some who have been long time anglers, have no idea about conservation or C&R philosophy.

Just this last Saturday I was back at the parking lot removing my gear after a fantastically spectacular day on the Valle Caldera. On the hike back I had spotted a couple of really big water fowl and I was pretty sure they were Herons but I wasn't confident of my knowledge. Parked next to me were two ladies who were clearly birders and I asked them about Herons, which, it turns out, are really what I saw. After we confirmed my siting one of the ladies asked, in a kind of quizzical way, if I had a good time fishing. I replied, sure, I had a great day. And she commented, "Even though you didn't catch anything".

So, yeah, she's thinking that if I don't have a stringer-load of fish I've had a bad day. I smiled and said, "Oh no, I caught a whole lot of fish. It was spectacular. I just like to put them back so they can make more nice fish and get bigger for my next trip".

It goes both ways some times .
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Shoulda stripped nekid and continued to fish. Give them a memorable photo.
Almost, but not quite. Zillion years back and I knew what a 'Bakinie' (sp?) suit was but never seen one. Fishing and these two young ladies come out of their tent and wade into the river across from me. Strip off and take a bath.

A young man's life experience.