The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Strangers trying to relate to us

You ever have one of those experiences were a stranger sees you fly fishing and tries to relate to you, but its obvious they barely know what they are talking about?

I was fishing for bass and carp today at a local reservoir. Guy walking aroun it stopped when he got close and asked me what I was fishing for. "Bass and carp" I said. He replies with "dry flies or wet flies?" I told him "streamers actually." And then the golden gem from him: "you ever use flies?"

The urge to slap him came on strong, but I resisted, quickly ended the conversation, and walked away.

I've ha situations like this before, and they always make me cringe. Another time at the same reservoir a guy saw me fly fishing and said as he passed by: "Ahhhhh going for trout huh?"
runningfish likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

I had a guy last night ask me what pound line was on my rod. he'd never seen a fly rod before, only heard of it. he was greatly confused by the bass II with bright red allen reel and 300gr. line on it. I don't think the Busch can he had in his hand was helping much either

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Happens quite often.

One river that I fish runs along the Appalachian Trail for about a 1/2 mile.

Lots of hikers. Many stop to chat.

The usual questions:

Any luck?
What kinds of fish are in here?
Are there really trout in here?
Fishing with flies?
What kind, if you don't mind my asking?

Smile, nod, give short answers. I figure they're just making conversation anyway.
fredaevans, pa dave and troutnut4 like this.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

Being a warm water only fly fisher, I run into this situation a lot. More than once, I have opened my fly boxes and shown the different types of flies I use. If they ask more, I answer as best I can. One of my chance encounters this year started a young man down the long road of fly fishing.
Some times people are just trying to make conversation, and for me, that's OK too.
Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I like talking to people that don't know anything about fly fishing. NONE of us are born knowing this stuff.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Years...MANY Years ago...fly fishing in North Eastern BC was rare...and those that did, fished almost exclusively for rainbow trout, stocked brookies or grayling...though seeing a fly fisher anywhere was a cause for amazement.

My small group started to push 'normal' boundaries....fly fishing more and more for species 'not normal' for redneck fare.

A very popular lake, Charlie Lake was a mecca for walleye, pike and perch. I remember one evening...I was wading and casting for walleye off a very popular walleye point. A boat drifts by....and with the sound carrying across the water...i can hear...."is he fly fishing"..."looks like it"....long pause...."there's no trout in this lake". HAH

Side note...later that season, my fly crew won all categories of the local fishing derby (biggest walleye, pike and perch) for that lake.....yep, there ain't no trout in that lake.

I am always open to discussions on the stream or lakeside...even from the, as yet, unenlightened.

King Joe Outa Here!
von behr likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

To preface this story: WHENEVER someone around here sees me fly fishing, asks what I'm doing, and I tell them, they always say "oh, like A River Runs Through It." Seriously....every time.

So, I was fishing a different pond this weekend. Parents and kids started gathering around, so I showed them my flies and let them touch the fish etc. one father asks what type my type of fishing is called, I say "fly fishing" and he doesn't look any less confused. So I say "you probably know it from A River Runs Through It." He's still confused, I explain its a well known movie and that everyone always says it to me. A few seconds later, one mother asks me the same question. Again, I answer "fly fishing." To which she replies "oohh, like that Robert Redford movie!" I look at the guy, he laughs.
runningfish likes this.

Last edited by nick k; 07-31-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Here on the Rogue (upper) we have a 'fly fishing only' season where you can use a casting rod/bubble and a fly under neath. Amazing how many folks are clueless and have asked for 'advice.'

Always had enough time to talk, help them rig up, give them flies. Until you've had a 12-14 year old wade into the river with you and give them spey casting lessons you have not experienced .. well, Joy.

Get them going and just go sit on the beach behind with Mom/Dad and chat. You will have to get up and 'Let me show you that again.' Arms around their shoulders, smooth movement, etc. (Usually=slow down!) and the line starts to just roll out.

Bliss.

Remember the first time back in 1994'ish on the Russian River in Nor. Cal. Last was an older Fellow on the Bitterroot River in Montana. Both just waded right in. First case: Father leaned over and asked "How much is one of those rods going to cost me?"

One of the last (a Meiz 3wt) the old fellow was banging out casts in 20 minutes. Dogs and I just sat on the beach, I had a smoke, and we 'snoozed in the shade' under the bridge. (If you know Hamilton, MT., you know the bridge on the north end of town.)

And a few People in between. But there are times you remember as being exceptional. Another comes to mind, but I won't embarrass him here. Exceptional fisherman with a 2hander; strongly suspect far better than me.

fae
siege likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Happens all the time out her. People stop and chat, some of them never fished with anything. Some never flyfished.

I may be the only person that they had the desire to talk to about this great sport, or ask questions of. I may be the one person who represents the sport to them. Strangers, or seekers ? I don't know. But I feel like I have a responsibility.

I try to remember :

"You only get one chance to make a first impression "

Make it count, every time.

Last edited by siege; 07-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Strangers trying to relate to us

"You only get one chance to make a first impression " And a second, if you you wish to take the time. But I take your point. Interesting how 20 minutes out of your life might make a difference?

Good on You Bud!

Fred
waterfordcreek likes this.