The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM

hogwild is on a distinguished road
Default How Do You Remove Odors From Waders?

I recently picked up some waders that have a heavy cigarette odor to them and need to find a safe way to remove it. My first attempt removed some of the foul odor and they've been airing out all day, but it's still pretty strong. I read that White Vinegar works great at removing cigarette odor, but I'm not sure what effect it will have on my waders. My wife refuses to let me use her brand new washing machine and I do not trust the machines at the local laundry. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How Do You Remove Odors From Waders?

Breathable or Neoprene, and manufacturer? Most have some sort of care instructions when new but if you say what kind they are someone here will probably own a pair and will know. I would hand wash in warm water with a little mild soap or preferably Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap this has a peppermint scent and may end the tobacco smell. Then dry inside out, when dry turn them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 PM

hogwild is on a distinguished road

They're Dan Bailey Lightweight Waders. I used mild dishwashing detergent and although it did soften the smell, it's still pretty ugly right now and I'm not sure my allergies can withstand that much cigarette odor.

I'll try handwashing them again and see if that will work, but I'm still open to suggestions.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You could make a solution of warm water and Baking Soda powder. Just be sure to add the powder to about a gallon or so and whisk it in slowly so it dissolves or you will have hundreds of little lumps of powder in the water. After making the concentrate solution dump it into the wash water and soak for awhile.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Here is AZ they have been worried about cross contamination of things like whirling disease so they are advocating washing down waders, boots, float tubes, etc with a solution of bleach and water. Maybe that would also remove the smell.

Or

You can just take up smoking and then the smell won't bother you.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I throw mine in the washer with Ivory SNOW Laundry soap....they smell purdy. I do this twice a year, and hose off after each use.
I hate to say it but i am betting a washer is the only solution. Can't tell I use to smoke...LOL
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

If they're chest or even waist-high waders, a good dose of beans for dinner the night before ought to take care of the cigarette odor just fine. However, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease . . . .
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Not sure if it will work on waders, but here is a skunk-scent deodorizing formula concocted by a chemist. The mixture is based on a formula used for removing hydrogen sulfide from waste gas streams in a lab and performs wonders on neutralizing thoils, the noxious chemical components in eau de Pepe Le Pew.

Mix one quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (from your pharmacy) with 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap. Soak the waders (or dog) in water and scrub with the mixture, then rinse in warm water. Since thoils are also the active ingredients in the likes of male cat urine, this can be a handy mixture for other chores too.

If that does not work, a couple of other options would be to try Febreeze odor remover, or go to the drug store and ask for an organic odor elimination product - organic odor products are expensive but they work on almost anything.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 AM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

Apply the smallest amount of vicks vapo-rub directly under your nose, that ought to take care of it.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper50cal View Post
Apply the smallest amount of vicks vapo-rub directly under your nose, that ought to take care of it.
That would work for my "solution" also