The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I miss my flyrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Excellent stick! If your free 10/5 we rented a boat out of Montauk to toss some flys at Alberts and Stripers we can always use another caster .
Leaving on the 6th for a Redfish trip in LA. I probably won't pack until the 5th lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Leaving on the 6th for a Redfish trip in LA. I probably won't pack until the 5th lol.
That's right you have that trip. Cool ! That should be a blast!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's right you have that trip. Cool ! That should be a blast!
It should be. I'll been following the reports, Reds are getting bigger should be a good time on an 8wt.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Excellent stick! If your free 10/5 we rented a boat out of Montauk to toss some flys at Alberts and Stripers we can always use another caster .
If you're into Albacore come down to Florida for a weekend this summer. We call them Bonita down here and they're considered a trash fish. Why I don't know as its an incredible fight, but most off shore guys turn up their noses at them. They're used as chum or bait if kept at all.

Anyway, this time of the year if you go offshore in SE Florida in about sixty to eighty feet of water and hang a chum bag over the side and then use live chum to bring them to the surface you can catch them till your arm falls off. Its a ten to twelve weight proposition as they run to the bottom and you need enough back bone in the rod to force them to the surface. Its a lot of fun. Plus, when you get tired of catching them (and yes they're almost a 100% guarantee here at this time of year) you can run out to 350 and go for dolphin (mahi mahi). Its mostly schoolies, but a five pounder on a ten weight is a blast. For both about the best pattern is something called an Eat Me designed by a local guide. I'll try to post it.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
If you're into Albacore come down to Florida for a weekend this summer. We call them Bonita down here and they're considered a trash fish. Why I don't know as its an incredible fight, but most off shore guys turn up their noses at them. They're used as chum or bait if kept at all.

Anyway, this time of the year if you go offshore in SE Florida in about sixty to eighty feet of water and hang a chum bag over the side and then use live chum to bring them to the surface you can catch them till your arm falls off. Its a ten to twelve weight proposition as they run to the bottom and you need enough back bone in the rod to force them to the surface. Its a lot of fun. Plus, when you get tired of catching them (and yes they're almost a 100% guarantee here at this time of year) you can run out to 350 and go for dolphin (mahi mahi). Its mostly schoolies, but a five pounder on a ten weight is a blast. For both about the best pattern is something called an Eat Me designed by a local guide. I'll try to post it.
To some extent they're considered a trash fish up here as well. As far as table fare it's the worste of the tuna family. I don't eat them but I love catching them on the fly. The Bonita in Fl are typically bigger than the ones we catch up here. In the NE 2-3lbrs on a 10WT is about the best we can hope for.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
To some extent they're considered a trash fish up here as well. As far as table fare it's the worste of the tuna family. I don't eat them but I love catching them on the fly. The Bonita in Fl are typically bigger than the ones we catch up here. In the NE 2-3lbrs on a 10WT is about the best we can hope for.
Ten pounds is nothing to brag on here, though 5 or so is more common. But boy they fight above their weight class. Here's the Eat Me Pattern. I haven't tied it as its a bit advanced for me, but I have fished it and it works. It would probably do for stripers and blues as well. Its a local favorite.

Eat Me Fly (Ole Florida Style) | OleFlorida.com
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Ten pounds is nothing to brag on here, though 5 or so is more common. But boy they fight above their weight class. Here's the Eat Me Pattern. I haven't tied it as its a bit advanced for me, but I have fished it and it works. It would probably do for stripers and blues as well. Its a local favorite.

Eat Me Fly (Ole Florida Style) | OleFlorida.com
Awesome tie, I learned it last time I was down there but tied larger for Snook. We fish a fly up here called the Albie Hore (not spelled that way but I had to get past the censors).
Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Good luck with the leg, Swirl. It's horrible to be down or lose mobility.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM

troutwaters is on a distinguished road

admire your heart to still be out there!!! i would resort to modern gear if i had too!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Thanks guys, I have to stay out there any way possible. My sanity depends on it!